Pewds Chapter Seventeen

Brooke (POV)

Ruby and I remained silent as Felix just continued to stare at us in confusion.

I could see the gears in Ruby's head turning as she tried to come up with some believable lie.

Usually she was really good at lying and convincing the girls in the orphanage that one of her dumb made up stories were true.

I looked over to her again just to see her shrug and look Felix straight in the eye.

Oh my god she's winging it, this will not end well.

She took in a sharp breath and started a story. "Well Brooke, our neighbor, and Kennedy may have gotten into a fight at the door because she wanted us to play Soft Ball with her and we told her we rather play video games. She felt like we were ignoring her, but to make it up to her we said we'd play lacrosse with her tomorrow"

His confusion seemed to fade but now suspicion seemed to define his expression.

"So that all that happened?" He asked, staring down Ruby.

"That's all" She smiled. As he leased off of the banister I let out a relived sigh. He believed it.

"Ok, I'm about to record a new horror game. It'll be about thirty minutes" He said walking off towards his recording room.

Once I knew it was clear I instantly turned around and smacked the side of Ruby's head with the back of my hand.

"Hey! What was that for!"
She squealed, glaring at me.

"For winging it like that! He almost caught your bluff" I snapped.

"Look I could care less if he believes us cause I'm going to the park" Ruby said walking towards the front door.

Oh no, she's not doing this. I've lived with Ruby long enough to know exactly what her twisted mind is thinking.

"You're not looking for her!" I growled grabbing the back of her checkered hoodie.

She seemed surprised that I had caught her so easily. "There isn't even any evidence saying that she's there" Ruby shrugged trying to brush off my hand.

"You'll look for her! I know you will! Look she gave us up, she doesn't deserve to talk to us" I said pulling at her hoodie causing her to be yanked back.

"Come on! You're saying your not at all curious as to why she suddenly had interest in us?"

To be honest I was pretty curious, but there is no way I'm bringing these problems back into my life!

"We aren't going, period!" I snapped as Ruby twisted the door handle.

"Look if we go I can talk to her and afterwards you can tell her to screw off" She said grabbing my hoodie and handing it to me.

I can't believe this..."Fine" I sighed, "But your telling Marzia that we are going to the park, not me"

She just shrugged and skipped upstairs. She's a mess, but I can't live without her.

"Be safe and have fun! Don't forget to text me every once in awhile checking in" I heard Marzia yell as Ruby tripped and slid down the stairs.

"Let's go!" She yelled.

***

After a ten minute walk and a few stops to pet dogs walking by, we made it to the park.