Chapter 1

Jeong-hyang carefully stepped onboard the boat. She steeled herself against looking back at Yunbok who was standing ashore. Waiting. Tear tracks running down both their faces. Till there was no longer a reason to wait. She nodded to the boatman. The boatman picked up his oar. One deep push into the riverbed. The boat rocked a little, then slowly but steadily left the shore.

Jeong-hyang's heart fought a losing battle to steal one last look at the painter's features. Regret washed over her for allowing Yunbok to persuade her to leave. But she had never refused this person anything, and doubted she ever will. So how could she ignore the desperate plea in those eyes that day in her room? This person – this special person – was still her Hwagong. By the time she lost the battle and finally glanced backwards, all she saw were dark emerald waters ebbing and flowing with the tide.

Danwon Songsaengnim had kept his promise to arrange her passage after all. At first, Jeong-hyang was not certain he would. She sensed that the man somewhat disliked her, although she never fully understood the reason.

Years spent alongside men's drinking tables had taught her a thing or two about their behavior. Empty flattery and adulation of her uncommon beauty were commonplace, as were their futile proclamations of love. Since young, the ravishing Jeong-hyang had learnt to deal with men in a cold and composed manner, never allowing them inside her heart, save one. Her thorns only attracted more butterflies. Rarely did a man refuse a woman like her.

Danwon's hostility was puzzling. Perhaps the teacher blamed her for his favorite student's downfall? Jeong-hyang silently admitted she was responsible for Daehensun's jealous vendetta against Yunbok and his teacher. In her eagerness to reunite with Yunbok, she had underestimated the gibang mistress Mok Kye-wyol's warning – Men are indeed cruel when blinded by jealousy. And Daehensun was the most cruel of them all. Even Hwagong was not immune from jealousy, Jeong-hyang thought with a bittersweet smile, recalling Yunbok's wounded expression when she deliberately smiled at Daehensun after he dusted her shoe in the courtyard. A handsome young painter crept into her mind, and a fresh wave of longing tossed over her heart.

Jeong-hyang forced herself to return to her original pondering. No, Danwon's distrust of her seemed to run deeper. Not only was the man displeased by Yunbok's decision to stay in Chawaseo, he fairly bristled whenever they met – even though Jeong-hyang always accorded him the utmost respect. Why? It was of no consequence now. Jeong-hyang thought it was unlikely they will meet again in this lifetime. With a heavier heart, Jeong-hyang wondered if she will see Hwagong again.

It took an entire day's journey. The sun slowly sailed across the sky, dragging shadows over the boat traveling beneath. As it sank into the mountains, the boatman steered into shallow waters and docked. Mak-nyeon and Mr. Gong were waiting for her, and they hurried forward in greeting. Clutching a folded painting of a gisaeng playing her gayageum – and her memories, Jeong-hyang alighted to meet them. A butterfly ornament tinkled slightly from her hanbok as she walked towards a new beginning.