Chapter 4: Yageum Mohaeng (A Secret Night Trip)

The marketplace was bustling as usual. Like an artist brushing color onto canvas, the crowd painted sounds of traffic, common folk chatting, market-goers haggling and an occasional wail of protest from livestock, into the cool morning air. Yunbok swung a new scroll of painting behind her shoulders, and strolled through the market, making her way past the butcher, the book shop, the fruitseller, the cloth shop....Ah, there was the art shop. The portly owner himself standing by the door. His mind as calculating as his figure was substantial. Yunbok thought, his business acumen was as sharp as her old art dealer in Hanyang. Was she destined to always be led on by such men?

"Hwagong! A new painting?"

"Yes."

Together, they went into the shop and slowly unfurled Yunbok's latest work. Casually, the art dealer ran his fingers along the painting's edges. His eyes gleamed but otherwise betrayed no emotion. In the painting, a crescent moon floated above the winter night as a yangban and his gisaeng stood by the roadside. The guard in his red uniform gestured to the yangban as if allowing him to pass, but reminding him to hurry up. The gisaeng said little but seemed to urge the little boy to continue down the road. The boy glanced at her in apprehension. The curfew was in place and everyone was in a hurry. A secret trip with all four characters conspiring in secrecy.

The painting was illicit, scandalous....and will sell very well.

The art dealer cleared his throat and looked up at Yunbok who was waiting expectantly.

"30 nyang."

He pressed the coins into Yunbok's hand. She reflexively pocketed it.

This time, Yunbok figured she knew better than Il Wyol San Nim in Hanyang.

"Again? You always offer 30 nyang and sell it for 100!"

"Look, you're obviously talented and I don't mean to criticize. But the gisaeng's pipe is painted the wrong way. Unless you wish to redo this painting, I can only offer 30 nyang."

Yunbok was stung by the dealer's comment and worriedly scanned her work.

She could see nothing wrong with the painting.

The dealer moved in for the kill.

"35 nyang. As I mentioned, you are very talented. Customers have been singing your praises. You are comparable to or even surpasses the great Danwon."

Oh. Really? That was high praise indeed. Yunbok's mood brightened considerably. She cleared her throat and tried to look stern.

"Ah, I suppose 35 nyang is acceptable."

Hiding a smile, the dealer pressed another five nyang into Yunbok's hand.