Chapter 5

After Yunbok stepped out from the art shop, she planned to run more errands for the day. Whenever she passed the cloth shop, she peeked in. Out of habit. Out of longing. To her disappointment each time, the shop was either empty or its occupant was never that special person she sought. Yunbok knew it was foolishness to expect Jeong-hyang's presence in this town, yet her heart yearned each time she passed this place.

Today was going to be different, or so her heart hoped.

On sheer impulse, Yunbok stuck her head into the cloth shop and curiously looked around. At the far end of the shop stood a lone woman. She seemed young with a graceful posture. The woman was intently examining a piece of fabric laid out before her, and did not notice the stranger's presence. Since her back was turned, Yunbok could not see her face. Nonetheless, Yunbok's heart leapt. One's eyes did not need to see what one's heart had memorized. Tentatively, Yunbok stepped into the shop. Her pace quickened, so did her heart rate. Impatiently pushing past the hung fabrics, Yunbok strode towards the young woman.

As she walked, a jumble of possible opening lines poured into her mind.

"So we meet again, my most beautiful person.

A flower cannot keep away the butterfly.

I have so much tell you about my experiences all this time, where do I begin?"

Just as Yunbok reached her side, the young woman turned and looked directly at Yunbok.

Yunbok did not recognize the woman at all.

The woman curiously regarded the unfamiliar youth staring at her. Yunbok retreated a few steps in acute disappointment. Ashes in her mouth. That brief moment had summoned forth all those days of longing – and once again, reality suppressed it. Yunbok hurriedly made her excuses and left the cloth shop immediately. It was not the first time she made such a mistake. She doubted it will be the last.