Chapter 2 - The Letter

CHAPTER 2 - THE LETTER

Hermione's POV

 The great hall was full of bustling children chatting to their friends and eating. Dumbledore had unfortunately placed the Slytherin table next to the Gryffindor table, and the two of them were slinging indults at each other.

 ‘No different than usual then’ she thought to herself as she sat down in between Ginny Weasley and Harry Potter, with Ron Weasley sat opposite.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY HERMIONE!” Harry shouted in her ear as he and Ron sat down at the table opposite each other.

 “Great, now I’m half deaf” she joked and Ginny giggled. Harry and Ron both gave her books for her birthday, which was a good thing because she loved reading. Everyone knew that the only times that Hermione Granger didn’t have a book in her hands was when she was writing an essay for homework or eating. Ron had given her ‘Extremely advanced spells for 7th years’ and Harry had given her ‘Romeo and Juliet’ which she had been dying for, for AGES!

 “Thank you so much! You guys are amazing!" She gave Harry a hug but couldn’t reach Ron from the opposite side of the table.

“Sure you could afford that Weasley?” Draco Malfoy smirked over at the Gryffindor table from the Slytherin table. Ron’s ears turned red but Hermione sent him a stern glare.

“He’s trying to get a reaction from you.” She told him, but he still looked angry.

“Buying a book for your girlfriend will probably make your family broke.” It was Hermione’s turn to go red this time.

“Now, now, Draco; play nice.” Snape had drifted down between the tables and gave a swift glare to both tables before gliding away from the hall. Draco sat open mouthed at the fact that Snape had warned HIM rather than Ron.

 “About bloody time” she heard Ron mutter with his mouth full as a screech echoed through the hall. The post had arrived. A tawny owl that she recognised as Professor McGonagall’s dropped a letter in front of her, and she opened it quickly.

Dear Miss Granger,

 Happy 17th Birthday from all of the teachers at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. We have sent all of your birthday letters and presents to your common room so you can read them in your own time.

 Hoping you have a pleasant day,

 Minerva McGonagall and Albus Dumbledore

 Deputy Head and Headteacher.

 “Well that explains your lack of post this morning Mione” Ginny chirped. She looked up from the letter to see Malfoy looking up at the ceiling. She followed his gaze and saw a large black owl flying around, as if looking for someone. A loud screeching noise alerted the rest of the school to its presence. The owl landed on Hermione’s shoulder and pecked her on the cheek affectionately before dropping a letter in front of her and flying off

 “Whose owl is that Mione?” Ron asked her. She shrugged her shoulders.

“No idea. My parents aren’t wizards so it can’t be from them.” She studied the writing curiously, running her fingers over the loops that formed ‘My dearest Hermione’. Finally she gave in to her curiosity and opened it. What was the worst that could happen?