The Devil's Angel - Chapter 26

Start from the beginning

The chairs, I noted as I sat down, were made out of woven vines. I lifted Danny to sit beside me and stretched out to stroke the ribbons which had been twined into the intricate frameworks. It was as if they had erupted from the ground beneath our feet. As I looked across the room, I saw several of Calantha's cousins standing on the side lines, hiding amongst the tree trunks and did not doubt for a moment that they were responsible for this magic. They did not reveal their skills to outsiders, the Earth People liked to protect their secrets, but I did not doubt for a moment that they could do something as simple and amazing as growing beautiful furniture.

Lucius was already stood at the front of the hall, his gaze roving over the crowd as he searched. My mouth went dry as his beautiful cool blue eyes fell upon me and he smiled. He smiled so wide that it looked painful but I could see nothing but true joy on his face. My cheeks grew hot under his gaze, his eyes running appraisingly over me before he met my gaze once more.

"Look who it is." I murmured to the small boy bouncing at my side, pointed over the tops of the crowds in Lucius's direction. Danny giggled, standing on the seat and waving to him wildly as only little children could.

Hades, dressed in long emerald coloured tunic, stood at the front with his hands folded behind his back. His blonde hair had grown longer since our last visit and was now tied at the nape of his neck, a crown perched on the top of his head as he looked out of the crowds, his eyes darting back to the spot where his bride would be entering before continuing his perusal of the gathered wedding guests.

He caught sight of my son's erratic hand waving and nodded his head in greeting to the both of us before his attention moved on. And then he started to pace, back and forth over and over again.

The pew trembled beneath me as Zeke and Gabriel took up the last space on the row at the back of the hall.

"Did everything go alright?" I asked, my eyes resting on them for a moment before I turned my attention back to the front of the throne room.

The thrones were the only things untouched by the wedding preparations. They were no less impressive. The huge crystal chairs flickered with inner fires jauntily as if they too had become caught up in the energy of the event.

"It all went smoothly. You need not worry about Mr Lyle again." Gabriel responded, his gaze burning into the side of my face.

I glanced his way but his attention was elsewhere, his jaw set and his emotions concealed – mostly. There was lingering tension in his face, lines forming around his eyes and mouth no matter how much he tried to repress his emotions.

My stomach rolled as guilt welled up within me. This was my doing even if it had been unintentional. And there was nothing I could do to make it better – to make it right. The last time we had been at a wedding together, it had been the two of us walking down the aisle. I sometimes remembered faint images of the life we had together but it was always with a strange detachment, the emotions long gone.

Clearing my throat, I looked away from his as my eyes started to water. I liked the Angel a lot but I knew that he would never be the one for me – not anymore. Not in this new life I was living.

A soft melody slowly filled the air, getting louder as the seconds passed. The delicate notes of the harp were joined by a rhythmic drumming sound which provided a low beat to the music. The crowd, who had been chattering quietly just moments before, fell into silence. As one, we turned out heads to look behind us. And there she was.

The bride word an emerald green one shouldered dress which swept down around her feet. Her hair had been bound in a beautiful knot at the back of her head, a few dainty tendrils remaining free. A veil covered her face. It was made of matching emerald green webbing and there were little white flowers woven on the fringe of the veil. She held a bouquet of beautiful vivid flowers. They were blooms from the Elysian Fields. They emitted a soft glow which was appealing to the eyes and gave off an enthralling scent.