Chapter 25

Jemma

"I would've killed him."

What?

Just like that, he's gone.
Wait, you can't just say that to someone and leave!

I mentally scream.

The door of the hallway separates us. I storm back to my room and fling the door open. It crashes against the wall with a loud bang that wakes my roommate up.

"What's wrong?" Sadie moans.

I groan and flop down on the bed, ignoring her question. I bury my head into the pillows. He couldn't be telling the truth. When he had told me before that he was bluffing, it made sense. Hunter would've done that for anyone but actually to kill his father?

I feel the bed dip beside me and turn my head to look up at Sadie.

"You found out, didn't you?" she asks.

I nod my head into the pillow. She leans down beside me and holds me in a tight hug.

"I'm sorry," she coos in my ear.

I sigh into the pillow and close my eyes.

My voice comes out all muffled when I speak. "I don't know what to say anymore."

Sadie rolls over to lay beside me on the small bed.

"Did he finally say what's bugging him?"

I shift to lay on my back, staring up at the ceiling.

"Am I even allowed to answer?" I grumble.

Sadie giggles softly. "Believe it or not, before you came, I was the only one who Hunter even remotely trusted. If only everyone was around when the great and powerful Hunter still cried every night he didn't get a bed time story, they wouldn't think he was all that."

I laugh at the thought of a miniature Hunter. "I always forget you're related to him. How old were you when he was born?"

"Almost four, and let me tell you, it was the best four years of my life."

My face heats up from all the laughing and Sadie joins me. It's amazing how close Sadie and I have become in the past couple months. Yes, she's insane but she is older than me by a good bit and I probably don't talk to her as much as I should about serious stuff. Deep down, I think she usually has some decent advice.

Laying beside her, laughing, it just seems oddly normal, for once.

"Kid's a brat. Now he has me sneaking him drugs."

We both quiet down at that.

"What did he tell you?" Sadie asks again.

I sigh. "I guess I didn't really realize how much Hunter just let me join the society. I always thought that I was the outcast that he would probably leave as soon as it was more convenient than keeping me. Then I followed him to the caves and, well, I'm assuming you know the story. I realized that I fit in here but in the process, I'm losing sight of why I'm here to begin with. He told me that it wasn't a hoax. Hunter really would've killed him."

When I finish, Sadie is quiet for a long while and I start to wonder if she fell asleep.

"Jemma, you do realize there isn't another woman in this entire city, besides Freya, that Hunter would pull a gun on his father for?"

I shake my head. "He would do it for you or Willa in a heartbeat."

Sadie pushes up onto her elbow.