Chapter 13

My eyes flutter open who knows how many hours later. I curl up into a tight ball on my side, a heavy quilt resting on top of me. I peer out into the dark room. How did I get here? Where is here?

I stand up and start walking towards the door but trip over something on the ground. I crash to the hard floor and hear a loud groan behind me.

"For the love... Jemma," A voice mumbles. I bite my lip.

"Hunter?"

"Go back to sleep," he hisses.

I crawl over to the door and flip the light switch on.

He ducks under his blanket like a turtle.

"Jemma!"

"What am I doing here?" I question.

Hunter stays under his blanket, refusing to answer me. I cross my arms, shooting him a smug grin.

"You brought me down here, didn't you?"

The lump under the blanket shifts and I imagine him shoving his head into the pillow.

"Hunter," I prod him with my foot. He flips the blankets back, revealing just his eyes.

"Well, I couldn't just leave you to sleep in a puddle of your own tears," he mumbles.

"And you couldn't have just gotten Sadie to wake me up?" I raise my eyebrows. Hunter's eyes become little slits as he glares at me. Suddenly, he jumps up, now towering over me a few inches.

"You were a mess. I was being nice. Now that you've made such a big deal out of it, I promise it won't happen again," Hunter snaps, storming out the door.

I roll my eyes, shoving my hands in my hoodie and trotting out the door behind him.

"You realize this bracelet kind of throws off your dramatic exits?"

Hunter doesn't say anything. He practically marches all the way to Sadie's room and bursts inside.

She shoots up in bed.

"Hunter!" Sadie yells.

"You're babysitting today," Hunter barks before storming back out the door, leaving us in his wake.

Sadie stares at me for a moment before flopping back into her pillows.

"What's his problem?" I exclaim.

Sadie slowly rolls off the bed, only catching herself at the last possible second.

"There are too many to name," she moans.

Sadie disappears into the bathroom and comes out a few minutes later wearing a pair of tight jeans and a pastel green tank top. She grabs her lab coat off a hook before turning back to me.

"Alright, I already got in trouble for losing you once but honestly, I think Hunter's just overreacting."

"Why?"

Sadie takes a deep breath and glances at the door.

"I think it's time you speak to Freya."

Sadie leads me up into the tower to the office Hunter had disappeared into a few days ago. She leads me inside the plush office. I feel like I just walked into a snow globe. Hadn't these people ever heard of a different color besides white?

Freya sits behind her desk, shrewd eyes scanning over me. The woman forces a small smile on her face and stands.

"Thank you for bringing her, Sadie. You may go."