Chapter 24

Hunter

It's been three weeks since the earthquake and things are finally starting to settle back into a rhythm back in the city. Things are hard, and I can tell most of the women are still grieving but they know we don't stand a chance of surviving without working. Things are different. It had almost been a decade since the last time the city was unprepared for an earthquake and now most people are uneasy. Even Willa and Sadie talk about all of the rumors spreading around the city. Most of them are just afraid that the quakes will become more frequent.

Things have changed that day. In fact, most days what I do doesn't make much sense. How am I supposed to protect a city when an earthquake triggered over a quarter of our population to die off in minutes?

"So when are you going to talk about it?" Sadie asks.

I jam my hands in my pockets and stare out the window of the med bay. Ever since the earthquake, she's had some weird infatuation with trying to play psychiatrist with me. Most of the time I want to storm away when she starts asking all these questions, sometimes I do, but part of me does understand her concern. I'd told her most of what had happened that night, but I hadn't told anyone how much it was killing me inside.

"There's nothing more to say," I answer, just as I have been doing for weeks.

Sadie doesn't respond and I look up to see a small frown on her face.

"What?" I question. Her frown grows even larger.

She sighs and sits back in her chair. "You know, I think you're punishing the wrong person."

"Care to make sense?" I raise an eyebrow.

Sadie shakes her head. "Never mind. Keep your priorities in order, little Cousin" she says with finality.

I roll my eyes and push off the wall I was leaning on.

"They are, as they've always been," I snap, heading for the door.

"Are you going to take this or not?" she calls. I turn around to grab the small package from her hand. She snatches it back at the last minute and I hear the contents rattle around inside.

"Freya would kill us both if she knew. You need to deal with this," Sadie scolds me.

I groan in frustration. "What I deal with or choose to ignore is none of your concern."

"Actually, it is!" she exclaims. "I don't know why I'm doing this for you."

"Just leave it alone, Sadie." I snatch the container of pills. "Tons of people are prescribed this anyway."

"Yes, but you're the only one of those people with a gun!" Sadie runs a hand through her long red hair and sighs. "Just talk to somebody. They'll do a sleep study, or prescribe something and then I won't have to keep sneaking you drugs to sleep at night."

"You and I both know why I can't do that. If my mother found out she would over react and it wouldn't be good for anyone."

"Then talk to Willa. She'll keep a secret."

"No!" I snap. Willa might have good intentions, but she'd let it slip.

"Please, Hunter. I feel dirty doing this. It's unnecessary," Sadie begs and I realize just how much this is actually bugging her. Sure, I knew I was getting into a dangerous habit but after that night in the caves, I couldn't sleep. Every time I close my eyes I either see Jemma getting thrown around by the men in the caves, or my city lying in ruins. I never want to think about how many bodies we pulled out of the rubble that day but as soon as I get one of those out of my head, the next will come. Sadie had found me in my bedroom and made the mistake of giving me a small dose of antihistamine.