Chapter 37: Making Her Choice

April O'Neil pulls into the hospital parking lot, nearly tripping over herself as she locks her vehicle and heads into the building. She checks her watch as she goes, seeing that it's around three in the afternoon. It's been five hours since she heard about Casey's condition.

As the redhead enters the bustling hospital, her bright blue eyes instantly fall on two more familiar women near the front desk; both with black hair, although one has red highlights.

"Taylor! Andy!" she calls, causing both girls to turn around.

"April! You heard too?" Taylor asks, hurrying to her friend's side. "Well, of course you did."

"How is he? Do you know?" the redhead demands, her voice sick with worry.

"The nurses are getting one of the Hamatos," Andrea says, thinking of the strange friends of Casey's that she had only ever heard of, never met. She casts her blue eyes over her shoulder, wrapping her arms around herself. "I hope he's gonna be okay...he's gone through way too much to just...just..."

"April! Everyone!"

The trio looks towards the hallway, Donatello and Raphael waiting for them near a tired-looking nurse. With a few quick sprints, Taylor throws her arms around Raph and buries her face in his shoulder, her entire body shaking. April and Andy walk to them slower, April starting to tear up as they go.

"He's still alive, right?" the redhead asks, looking up at Donnie.

He nods, his face a mask of sorrow. "Yes...but I don't know for how much longer."

She rests one hand over her mouth again, squeezing her eyes shut. Donnie carefully wraps an arm around her shoulders, the five teenagers following the nurse back to Casey's room.

The inside of the hospital room isn't any better than the outside. Casey lays on the bed, bandages surrounding his wound and an IV inserted into his arm. He's growing paler by the second, his chest hardly rising anymore as he shivers with cold. Destiny sits on the chair next to the bed, holding his hand and rubbing her thumb along his cold skin. Sarina and Leonardo stand against the nearest window, also watching their friend closely. Michelangelo and Annalise sit on the empty bed nearby, both staring at their feet with one of their arms wrapped around the other.

Leo looks up as the other five family members enter the room. April gasps upon seeing the state of the vigilante, completely tensing against Donnie's arm. Destiny gets up, gesturing to her previous spot. April nods and moves forwards, taking her place as she sits down next to Casey. She doesn't say a word, just watching every breath he takes.

"You couldn't help him?" Andy demands, jabbing her finger against Donnie's chest. "Aren't you the brainy guy?"

"I believe we told you the situation," Sarina retorts smoothly, her tone soft and weak. "There isn't anything that can save him now...except for Zilla's decision."

April makes a tiny sobbing sound at that, grasping his hand tighter as she droops her shoulders. She knows of the options that were given, all of them scaring her more than she'd like to admit. Either way, she feels like she'll be losing his presence in her life.

"Who's Zilla?" Andy asks.

"A specialist in topics surrounding your brother's condition," Sarina lies without missing a beat. "She's searching for the cure as we speak."