Chapter 18: Gaining Some Hope

Casey wakes in the morning to the comforting bustle of the lair. Destiny sings along to her t-phone's varied music library while she cooks breakfast, pans clanking. He sits up, rubbing his eyes as he cracks a yawn.

"Good morning," Leonardo greets as he moves past the living room towards the kitchen. He's got a duffel bag on his shoulder, a surefire sign of a coming humanized trip to the surface. "Hungry?"

His stomach growls in answer even as he gets up. "Starving."

He follows Leonardo to the kitchen, the scent of eggs and bacon wafting into his nose. Donatello, Splinter, and Michelangelo sit around the kitchen table; Splinter cuts a wedge from his waffle, Donatello nurses a mug of coffee, and Michelangelo talks to someone on his phone.

"He's all gee, Tay, just like we promised," Michelangelo says as Leonardo moves to Destiny, kissing her cheek. Her tail wags in greeting. "I cross my heart, hope to fly like Desti-bear, stick a pizza in my shell." A pause. "No, he slept through the night. Hasn't woken up yet, but his fever's gone. Donnie says he's looking good!" He nods to Donatello and earns a gentle coffee mug lift in return. "But enough about us, how's school? Classes going well?"

He props his head on his chin as he listens to her speak, eyes sparkling.

"There's plenty of coffee, Casey," Destiny says. She steps away from the pan of bacon to open the waffle maker, using a fork to lift the fresh waffle onto an ever-growing stack. "Guys, Splinter can't be the only one eating. Dig in."

"I can't stick around," Leonardo says as he snatches a waffle, taking a bite. "Karai wants to review lesson plans before students start rolling in."

Destiny scoops a helping of scrambled eggs onto a plate along with two strips of bacon, turning and handing them to him. "You can't be a good sensei on an empty stomach."

He smirks at her but takes the plate, sitting down to shovel it as gracefully as possible into his mouth. Casey skirts around him to get a plate, allowing Destiny to serve him while he looks back at the rest of the family. Michelangelo hangs up his call and gets up to join in on breakfast.

"Is Flash still asleep?" Casey asks.

Donatello nods. "She was pushing twenty-four hours awake. She can sleep for as long as she needs," he says. Casey whistles, thanks Destiny, and takes a spot at the table. Donatello eyes him for a second and adds, "Thank you for encouraging her to rest last night."

He shrugs. "It was nothing."

"Not to me."

He digs into his breakfast without answering. It makes his stomach feel weird to hear that.

"Where is your shadowy friend this morning?" Splinter asks. "I had hoped to speak to her again before she left."

Casey swallows a mouthful. "I asked her to stick around. She said she would." He has no idea if she'll actually follow through, but he has hope. "She's probably lingering nearby."

"Think she can hear us?" Michelangelo asks. He turns and cups his hands around his mouth, shouting towards the main area. "THANK YOU, SHADOW LADY!"

Everyone goes still, waiting for a reply, but nothing comes. Michelangelo shrugs, making a shooing gesture at the air before returning to his breakfast with renewed gusto.

"Does she need a plate? I can throw on a few extra strips," Destiny offers.

"She can't eat," Casey says.

Michelangelo gasps. "She can't eat?!" he repeats. "What kind of freaky messed up existence is that?"

He blinks. "A freaky...messed up one, I guess?"