Chapter Fourteen

Living Royal

Chapter Fourteen

“Now what? How the hell are we going to get out of here?” Bella asked.

Their night of fun had been ruined after all. They’d tried as much as possible to forget about the paparazzi camped outside the restaurant but it didn’t work. They were causing such a loud clamour that the other occupants of the restaurant started throwing glares their way, probably for interrupting their quiet evening.

It had all started out pretty well. Bella and Edward had walked through the mayhem and faced the barrage of questions until they got inside. Jasper was waiting for them and he had booked a table as far away from the front as possible. Bella had felt like hugging him.

They ate their food and chatted in relative peace until it was time to leave. The number of paparazzi outside had doubled, there were hundreds of them out there.

Guess that’s what happens when a Royal Prince and the most eligible bachelor in the world starts dating.

Poor Edward. If this is how it’s always been for him, no wonder he’s never had an actual relationship. The pressure that comes with dating itself is daunting; add to that the whole country watching every step he makes.

Bella promised herself that she wouldn’t let herself feel the pressure. For Edward. She’d stay strong for him, at the very least.

“We’re going to have to look for another way out.” Edward said. He turned to the maitre’d who had been standing by ready to help. “Is there a back door to the restaurant?”

The maitre’d nodded eagerly, “Yes, Your Highness. Right through the kitchen.”

“Great. Jasper, I’ll need you and Alice to bring the car to the back, can you do that? Bella and I will meet you there.”

“Sure,” Jasper nodded, and headed out the front door to do just that, pulling Alice along with him. The paparazzi thankfully did not give them much grief.

Edward grabbed Bella’s hand and they walked through the kitchen, getting weird looks from the workers, until they reached the back door and quickly slipped out. Jasper had brought the car around and Alice was in the front seat. Bella and Edward quickly slipped in and they drove off.

Edward leaned back in his seat and sighed wearily. Bella reached over and held his hand, trying to comfort him and show him that she wasn’t fazed by it all. He held on to her hand tightly and smiled at her.

Bella loved it when Edward smiled. It was like his whole face glowed.

Not this time, though.

This time his smile didn’t reach his eyes.

Bella’s heart fell. It was quiet inside the car until they reached the University campus.

They walked inside and said goodnight to Jasper and Alice. Alice looked worriedly back at Bella. The tension between her and Edward was so palpable.

Bella followed Edward assuming she’d be spending the night in his room. Until he stopped her.

“Bella, I’m kind of tired tonight. Do you mind if I spend the night alone today?” He asked, unable to look her in the eye.

Bella’s heart was beating so fast. She was insanely nervous but didn’t let it show. She knew what he was doing, or what he was trying to do.

“Yes, actually, I do mind. I’m not letting you do this.”

“Not letting me do what?” He was still refusing to look at her.

“Run away. If I’m not allowed to do that, then neither are you.” She stated, confidently and hoped she was on the right track with this.