Chapter 14

It was already the Monday before winter break started and I wasn't looking forward to not seeing Frankie for two weeks. He was scheduled to leave on Wednesday and I wasn't sure if I should give him his gift before or after break. In the end I wound up giving it to him on Tuesday after school. We were at his house.

"I love it, Faye," he said after he opened my gift. He leaded over and kissed my cheek. "Wait here," he said sprinting up his stairs. He came downstairs with a blindfold.

"Not what I was expecting, but okay," I told him as he wrapped it around my eyes. He slowly brought me upstairs and into his room.

"Alright, one, two," Frankie began. "Three!" He ripped the blindfold off my eyes and revealed a German shepherd boxer puppy resting on his bed.

"No you did not," I shrieked running over to the dog. I began to pet it and it kicked my nose excitedly. "Wait." I turned around to Frankie. "My mother is allergic."

"I know, I talked to her before I adopted him." He smiled, "I can keep him here if that's okay with you."

"That's fine," I replied as Frankie joined me on the floor by his bed.

"What are you gonna name him," he asked putting his arm around me.

"He looks like a Kory."

"What makes you say that?"

"The collar around his neck. I see you took the liberty of naming him."

"I adopted the damn thing," he joked.

"It's my gift," I replied matter-of-factly. "But I like Kory anyhow." We spent the rest of the day playing with the dog and spending time together.

Eventually it was Wednesday, the last day of school before winter break and the day Frankie was leaving. During lunch we sat at our own table so we could have some alone time.

"You'll watch Kory right," he asked me.

"Yeah," I said quietly.

"I promise we'll FaceTime everyday," he said taking my hand.

"It's not the same."

"I know." The bell rang and it was time for 6th period. "Can you come to the airport," he asked me.

"Sure," I smiled.

After school we went to his house and I piled in his parents' car with all their luggage. He held me hand all the way there. After we went through security and everything else I waited for them to board their flight.

"Flight 39 to Massachusetts is ready to board," called the ticket lady.

"I'm gonna miss you," I said as we all stood up. Frankie pulled me into a tight hug and kissed my forehead.

"I'll miss you too," he said as he pulled me into a real kiss. After we finished our goodbyes, he grabbed his carry-on and followed his parents onto the plane.

I didn't want to watch the plane take off because I was sure I would cry. So once they couldn't see me anymore I left.