One word changes everything

JESSICA

It's funny how a single, one syllable word can change your entire life. Up until now I didn't think it was possible, but there I was surrounded by people much to close to my liking, all talking at once and making me feel like a piece of meat, all because I said that word.

JESSICA

It's funny how a single, one syllable word can change your entire life. Up until now I didn't think it was possible, but there I was surrounded by people much to close to my liking, all talking at once and making me feel like a piece of meat, all because I said that word.

Yes.

The big diamond ring sparkled in the dim lighting of the living room and Matt held me around my waist. My mom, Pattie, Caitlin and Mrs. and Mr. Beadles crowded around me, all rambling on and on about how beautiful the ring was and how happy they were for me and Matt.

I broke away and Ryan tackled me in a big hug, picking me up and spinning me around. I chuckled and squeezed back. He grinned and grabbed my hand, holding it in the light. "Damn, Matt went big. Like... BIG."

Chaz joined us and ripped my hand away. "Whoa! Look at that stone! How much to think that kind of ring costs?"

I shrugged and Chaz hugged me tightly, "Congrats Jess, no one ever thought you would get married!"

I rolled my eyes at Chaz's joke, and smacked him playfully, "Your hilarious Chaz, so when are you and your girlfriend getting married? Wait..."

"Oh shut up," he rolled his eyes and smiled, "I dumped her."

"Whatever gets you through the night buddy," I said, patting his shoulder and walking away. I turned once to see him flip me off and returned the gesture.

It seemed like everyone was excited.

Everyone but Justin and Christian.

And me.

God help me, I'm digging myself deeper and deeper in this hole.

Soon I'll be buried.

CHRISTIAN

I woke up at around nine on Christmas morning and ran downstairs, the kid in me taking over. After all I was younger then everyone else here. I had spent most of the night up, thinking. My hair must've been a mess by morning from all the times I angrily ran my fingers through it.

I found everyone in the living room merrily talking. It looked like I was the last up.

"Merry Christmas everyone!" I yelled, pulling on a Santa hat I found on a nearby love seat. I grinned and everyone echoed me.

My eyes eagerly searched the room for Jessica and found her perched on the couch with Matt next to her. Her eyes were locked on the ring around her slender ring finger. It stuck out against her tan skin and French manicured nails.

The red and gold ornaments on the huge dark green tree glistened and presents were piled under the tree, all with tags on it. No one touched the big boxes.

Sometimes I wish for the old days, when I could run downstairs at six in the morning and open every present that said my name on it while my parents chuckled and Caitlin rolled her eyes.

Now look at us.

Caitlin was engaged, my parents were getting gray hair and I, well, I was in college and completely and utterly in love.

"Merry Christian, Chris," my mom and dad said, pulling me into a hug one by one. Caitlin, who was cuddled up to her fiancée, Ben. I liked Ben, he was a cool dude, but I still couldn't believe Caitlin was getting married. It seemed like yesterday that she was painting my nails pink and getting in trouble for giving her innocent five year old brother makeovers.

Caitlin kissed Ben's cheek and stood up, running over to me and pulling me into a huge hug. "Merry Christmas kiddo!"

I smiled and hugged her back. She was in a light gray v-neck sweater, skinny jeans and heels, her engagement ring on her finger.

I suddenly heard the front door open and then the sound of heels hitting the floor filled my ears. I turned to see an angry looking Riley.

Justin looked up in surprise at his fiancée. "Riley, your back earlier then I had expected!"

It was true. Riley had left for a couple days to visit her dad, and was supposed to be back for Christmas dinner. "I know that, Justin. My dad's newest wife was annoying me so I left."

As much as I hated Riley, I felt bad for the girl. She's had so many step moms that she can't even name them all. Believe me, I've asked her to before and the girl sat there for an hour trying to remember. Either the numbers too high, or she's even dumber then I thought.

Jessica stood up and welcomed Riley with a big hug. Riley, being the fashion obsessed girl she is, noticed her ring as soon as they were within a foot of each other.

"Girl, what is that gorgeous rock doing on your finger?"

"I'm..." she paused, "I'm engaged."

Matt grinned as he walked by and kissed Jess on the cheek, making me grimace. "I love your outfit, by the way," Riley added.

Jess was in a black cardigan with a tan and black tank top, light gray skinny jeans and high heel boots. Her hair was in a low, ponytail that hung over one shoulder. She looked absolutely beautiful.

We all sat down and began to open different presents while nibbling on Christmas breakfast of pancakes, eggs, sausage, bacon, fruit salad and toast.

I gave Jessica a few Pandora charms for her bracelet which I had seen her wear on various occasions. Some of which had more meaning then others, but if she caught on to the messages they sent, she didn't show it.

"Jessie, your present actually hasn't come in the mail yet," Justin said, frowning. Jessica nodded and told him repeatedly that it was perfectly fine and he didn't need to buy her anything in the first place.

It seemed normal enough, the postal service must be backed up during these times, but something about the statement seemed unreliable.

Either it was the fact that I've known Justin for over ten years now, or that I saw Justin grab a small, wrapped box from under the tree and slip it in his pocket.

What was in that box?

Chapter end notes: 

So Jessica and Matt are engaged, poor Christian and Justin:(

And what's in the box?

Leave some lovee!

:D

Jessica's Christmas day outfit: http://www.polyvore.com/never_stopped/set?id=27402432

Caitlin's outfit: http://www.polyvore.com/caitlin/set?id=27405022

7 more votes and 3 comments for another update! :) x