Snowball fights and old friends

JUSTIN

The longs in the fire crackled and I threw in more. The big gloves I was wearing were scratching my skin, but the warmth of the fire against my face felt so good I didn't move. I felt someone sit down next to me on the ground. I turned to see Jessica, sitting there with a smile on her face. She put her hands out in front of the fire and rubbed them together. It was weird to see her all grown, as I imagined it was for her to see me. Her nails were perfectly manicured, but not face like most people had these days. They were long, but neatly kept.

She had the kind of hands that you must want to hold, soft and a perfect set for my own. I sighed and sat back, studying her. It was late and everyone else had gone up to bed. I thought I was the only one, but I guess Jessica still liked to stay up late.

"You've grown up so much," she murmured, turning to face me. I raised my eyebrows at her and she grinned.

"Me? Look at you Jessie!"

"Jessie..." she repeated and looked down at her heels. "Man, I haven't been called that in a long time."

"It's still a family nickname?" She nodded and I smiled a little. "Keep it that way."

"Okay," she smiled and turned back to the fire.

"Now, Jessie, tell me why your so much more beautiful then I remember?"

"Oh stop."

"I'm serious, I remember you being beautiful, but now, now you're a gorgeous."

"Well... thank you Justin. But I must say, age has been good to you too."

"Oh really?"

"Model worthy."

"You would know. Hey, whatever happened to your modeling career?"

"Oh, that silly thing? I quit."

"Why?"

"Various reasons, but I'm a teacher now and it's great," she smiled, her face glowing in the dim lighting.

"So teachings good for you?"

"It's amazing. Some of the junior and senior boys get a little out of hand with the flirting and everything, but it's good. Matt has enough money from his parents and his job as a professor that we don't need to worry about money, it's perfectly, perfect in every way," she joked. I chuckled and she giggled a bit.

"So when's he coming down?"

"Uh, well he's spending tomorrow with his parents then he's getting up bright and early the next morning and driving here. So he should be here about ten in a day."

"Well... I can't wait to meet him, he sounds like a great guy," I lied. Personally, I wished it would've been me who could be calling her my girlfriend, or even my fiancée, but I couldn't deny that the guy seemed like he was just her type and she seemed to love him.

"What time is it?" she asked, breaking my train of thought. I pulled out my phone and checked the time. It was almost quarter of midnight. Jessica sighed and stood up, offering her hand. I took it, seeing it as maybe the only time I'd get to hold those hands.

She walked into the kitchen with her glass, which was still half full with wine. She poured it into the sink and put the glass carefully in the dish washer. I remembered the time when she was just a lazy teenager like me, never putting dishes away. We walked up stairs to our bedrooms and she said goodnight to me and kissed me on the cheek like old friends.

If only we were more then that.

JUSTIN

The longs in the fire crackled and I threw in more. The big gloves I was wearing were scratching my skin, but the warmth of the fire against my face felt so good I didn't move. I felt someone sit down next to me on the ground. I turned to see Jessica, sitting there with a smile on her face. She put her hands out in front of the fire and rubbed them together. It was weird to see her all grown, as I imagined it was for her to see me. Her nails were perfectly manicured, but not face like most people had these days. They were long, but neatly kept.