"Elsa, I'm..."

"I know," she whispered hoarsely. Her fingers traced the wooden lines on the breakfast table. "What were you dreaming about?"

"Hans. His brothers." Jack's eyes became darker. "I wasn't able to get to you in time." His voice sounded strained. 

Elsa looked up, her bright blue eyes meeting Jack's solemn ones. 

He cupped her face so softly, his hands barely touched her skin. "I never meant to hurt you, Elsa. I'm not sure I can make up for what I did to you."

She placed her hand over Jack's. "I forgive you. Time heals all wounds."

His thumb brushed her cheek. "I disagree. The wounds remain, leaving a scar. The pain lessens, but it's never gone."

"What about love?" Elsa asked. "Love heals."

His eyes seemed to pierce hers, delving into her soul. "Does it?" he murmured. "Do you?"

"Do I what?"

"Do you love?"

She smiled. "Depends. What's the object in question?"

"Me," he whispered.

Her breath caught. She'd been expecting this, but still— A sudden banging on the door disturbed her thoughts. As soon as Elsa unlocked it, the door burst open.

"Man, have you guys looked out your window? It's crazy."

Elsa quirked an eyebrow. "What is, Jessica?"

Jessica let out an exasperated sigh. "Look!"

Elsa went to the bedroom window and tentatively peered from behind the curtains. "Whoa," she breathed. At least a dozen black helicopters swarmed the skies, zipping and circling like little gnats. Deadly gnats that could end life as they knew it for both of them.

She felt—rather than heard—Jack's presence. He stiffened and yanked the curtains closed with more force than necessary. He sank onto the bed and ran his fingers through his hair.

"So, whatcha guys gonna do?" Jessica asked.

Jack shook his head. "There's nothing to do. We obviously can't bolt. We'll have to lie low. If we remain unseen for long enough, maybe they'll assume we've escaped and leave."

"Ya know, it's possible they ain't lookin' for you."

Jack snorted and gave her an incredulous look. "Sure." His voice dripped in sarcasm.

Elsa interwove her fingers and clenched them together nervously.

Jessica cleared her throat. "Well, I picked you guys up a hot meal. Fresh outta McDonald's. I would cook for you myself, but the stuff I make isn't edible."

Jack offered her a strained smile. "Thanks for everything. Tell us if you need anything."

She winked. "Can do. I gotta go back to the hospital. See ya!"

The door clicked shut behind her.

XXXXXXXX

Elsa forcefully twisted the knob to the sink, abruptly cutting the flow of water. For the past few days, her frustration had simmered. Now it was at the boiling point. Jack always held her at arm's length. He rarely touched her and never held her. She pursed her lips together and snatched the hand towel from its ring, where it hung next to the sink. 

The helicopters were still thick, though there were less than there were a few days ago. They even flew at night, their blades noisily whirring through the air and bright beams of lights wandering lazily around the city. Elsa left the bathroom, slamming the door shut behind her. The only good thing was that Jack was recovering rapidly. She brushed past him in the hall on her way to the living room. She hated being cooped up in such tiny quarters with a man who would have nothing to do with her. It frustrated her to no end. 

She slammed her coffee mug onto the table. A part of her wanted Jack to notice her stormy behavior, while a completely different part wanted to fume in silence. She winced when she took a sip of the piping-hot coffee and set it back on the table, a hefty sigh escaping her lips. She left her coffee to cool and walked to the bedroom doorway, curiously peering in. Jack stared blankly at the ceiling, looking pale. His azure eyes glistened with unshed tears. Elsa felt a pang of guilt. Why was Jack so upset? Had she been doing something wrong all along? Had she unintentionally hurt him somehow? As more questions swarmed her mind, she stepped into the room, making herself visible. Jack glanced towards her and sat up with a groan, rubbing his hand over his face, as if he was exhausted.

Elsa tentatively sat on the edge of the bed. "What's wrong?"

"Abitha."

Elsa paled. "What about Abitha?"

He ran his fingers through his hair, staring at a point in space. "Her condition's become critical."