Chapter 27 - Finding Out

Start from the beginning

"To be honest, I'm afraid of Huritt's reaction the most."

"You'll tell him when the time is right. Maybe this is bold from me given the situation, but would you like to stay the night at my house? If your brothers see you in this state, there will be questions."

"What about Kitchi?"

"He will sleep until tomorrow when he gets his evening medication."

"I don't want to impose."

"I'm offering. Make an overnight bag and let me help you just like you have helped me recently."

After I refresh the contents of the bag I used when I slept at the hospital, I find Grandma talking with Olivia in whispers. Both stop at my sight.

"Have a good time at Olivia's," Grandma kisses my cheek. "I know you are both free tomorrow, so don't come home too soon. We'll be all right."

I head outside the house with Olivia and feel relieved when I don't find my brothers in the office and only a few employees rest at the lounge.

"I need to pick up Seth at the club. Here are my car keys and don't even think about driving," she warns me.

I do as instructed and wait inside the car with my eyes closed, concentrating on my breathing pattern to calm myself. I open my eyes when I hear the doors opening.

"Hey, Rowtag! Were you sleeping?"

Seth takes place in the backseat and smiles at me. He looks funny with the recent gaps in his teeth.

"No, just resting my eyes for a bit. Did you have fun today?"

"Yeah, I glued chicken feathers to my drawing. We walked around the ranch and picked stuff from the ground to use. I found the feathers," Seth says as Olivia takes her place in the driver's seat.

"That sounds like fun," I say.

"Are you sad?" Seth asks, concern in his little face.

"Yeah, I am," I say and Olivia looks surprised at my honest admission.

"Don't worry. Mommy will make you feel better. She always does when I'm sad," he says and I smile at his simple solution.

After driving for close to fifteen minutes, we arrive at a white cottage surrounded by colorful flower pots. Olivia parks the car and Seth runs to the post box to pick the mail. She opens the house and invites me in; the place is light, cozy and filled with more potted plants.

"This is a charming house, Olivia."

"Thank you. It's a luxury for us compared with the tiny apartment we had in the city. Seth can now play in the garden and I'm not afraid of him running in front of a car."

Olivia opens a side door next to the kitchen and we walk into a wide porch with a large rustic table and benches with cushions as colorful as the plants around the house.

"We like to eat outside. What would you like me to cook for you?"

I'm surprised by the question. At home, I always eat whatever Huritt cooks.

"I- Uh- Don't know. Seth, can you help me?" I ask and the boy walks towards me. "What is the best thing that your Mom can cook?"

"Everything!" He grins.

"That is not helping me, man. I eat pretty much everything," I say to Olivia. "I'm not picky."

Olivia gives me a light kiss and heads to the kitchen. I feel lost at what to do next. I could offer to help, but I won't be doing her any favors. Seth brings a board game outside and challenges me to play. I have been so busy in the last years that I forgot how much I enjoy simple pleasures like a game night.

"Gentlemen, time to clear up and wash your hands," Olivia says from the kitchen.

I'm glad she interrupted our game as I was feeling embarrassed at my losing streak, plus the scents coming from the kitchen are promising. We do as instructed and come back to food on the table. On my plate, there is a heaping pile of mashed potatoes and big breaded steaks with gravy. I look at Seth's plate, and he has the same amount of food I have.

"Is he going to eat all of that?"

"He is a miniature man and going through a growth spurt, so the answer is yes. He will eat that and then have a bowl of yogurt afterwards," Olivia says while Seth enjoys his food and doesn't even pay attention to us.

I smile remembering how Grandma would tease us, saying that she would have to hide the cows and the pigs from us when we were growing up.

After the lovely meal, we spend the evening chatting while Seth watches TV, and then it's time to go to bed. Seth goes obediently and asks me to read a story for him. Of course, I do. I dreamed a thousand times about doing this with my children. After the story, I kiss his forehead goodnight while his mom watches us from the doorframe, and he gives me a big smile. I head towards the living room, but Olivia holds my hand.

"Come with me, Row," Olivia brings me to a bedroom... Her bedroom.