Chapter 13

Julia- "Dad's been gone a while; do you think he's okay? I heard mom yell at him" I asked Chauncey, looking at the doors my parents walked out of. "I'm sure he's fine, Princess. Probably wanted to play the typical over-protective father who hates any man that comes within 100 feet of their daughters or something" he said, teasingly, while he sipped his coffee. "Haha! I honestly don't know why though. You've been at my side since I met you, didn't bother him before." But I do know. Dad's not stupid, he's my mother's mate, he knows the gravity of me having Chauncey sit at my side meant. Dad's probably having a heart attack out there at the thought of his only "little girl" having a crush. He didn't even want me to be responsible for Chauncey at first, and now I'm falling for the guy. Great job, Julia, I scolded myself.

"Anyway, you excited for the ball tonight?" I turned to Chauncey, bouncing slightly in my seat. He laughed softly at my excitement. "I haven't been to a ball since the 1800s, so yes, I'm excited." I smiled. "Remember, you have to go see the court designers after we eat, so they can make you an outfit." He nodded and continued eating. Then I remembered, "Oh! I wanted to call Patch!" I had left my phone upstairs, so I asked one of my maids to grab it for me. "Why did you want to call him?" Chauncey asked me, dipping his scone in his coffee, and taking a bite. "I wanted to know how Cheshvan went, since he no longer has a Nephil, and to just check on him," I told him, taking my phone from the maid that appeared at my side.

Patch's number was on speed-dial, so I pressed the number for him and waited; he picked up after the first ring. "Miss me already?" his deep voice came through the speaker. "You sound tired. Are you okay?" I asked him. He laughed, "I don't sleep, Julia. Major insomniac, remember?" I rolled my eyes. "How'd it go last night? You just stay in or were you with Nora?" My family knew he and Nora were still together but in secret. "No, but she stayed at home, I told her to. And last night was... anti-climactic, to say the least." Chauncey and I looked at each other. "What does that mean?" I asked, intrigued but nervous. 

"The Fallen didn't possess their vessels. Not even one," Patch told me, something like doubt crept into his voice. Chauncey flung himself out of his seat and pulled the phone towards him. "What the hell?! Where was this shit when I was alive the first time!?" he yelled. I scoffed and pulled the phone away from him. "Sorry Patch, ignore that." I heard him scoff, "Like I care about anything that comes out of Chauncey's mouth" he growled. "Well, do you know why that happened?" I asked him. Maybe I should talk to Onyx, see if she knows anything. "Don't know, I'm staying out of it, so other Fallen wouldn't tell me anything."

"It could be mental warfare, or they know something we all don't," Chauncey suggested. I nodded. "I'll ask Onyx, see if she knows anything, or her dad," I told Patch. "Thanks, little one. Keep me updated, okay?" I smiled through the phone. "I will. Stay safe, Patch. Good luck to Nora too," "Thanks Jewels, and make sure you're safe too. Have fun tonight." "I will. Bye Hermano!" "Later!" He hung up. "Well, I'm full, so I'll go get my outfit made and met up with you when I'm done," Chauncey said, rising from his chair. I smiled at him. "Good, I need to choose my outfit as well. What did you want to do after?" I asked him, leading him out of the dining room and showing him the way to the studio the designers use.

"Don't know. Maybe go riding? I need to break Ares in a little more, especially since he went from one unfamiliar place to another in one day." "Sounds great!" When we reached the studio, the doors were wide open, music was blasting from the speakers, and I could hear the various voices of the girls inside the room. Mannequins stood at attention against the walls. Bolts of all kinds of fabrics hung on various racks all over the room. Chests filled with jewels, appliques, and sequins were in locked glass cases. And in the center of it all was a raised platform, a full-body trifold mirror, and a long, crescent-shaped velvet couch, which was occupied by our designers.