Chapter XIV

My hands tremble, my mind not completely caught up with what has happened yet. Sam died... I bite my bottom lip trying to distract myself from crying. I know I wasn't fond of him, but he has been seeing my mother for over a year now. I've been around him for so long and now he- won't be coming around anymore.

The taxi driver honks his horn and yells into the car, cursing at the driver in front of us. I ignore him, only focusing on the fact that I'm only a few minutes from my house.

I can't believe how unexpected this is. It's almost surreal. I was with Sam only yesterday when he drove me to work. I remember him taking an interest in my job, asking me what I do and trying to understand my problems. I'd be lying to myself if I said I hated him, and I'd be lying if I said that I won't miss him because he was so kind. The fact that he tried to be friendly is what hurts the most. He was so nice to me, joking and being playful and I was nothing but cruel. He didn't deserve that, deserve this.

When my house comes into view I move quickly and unbuckle my seatbelt, anxious to get to my mother. I reach for my purse, but fail to find it. What?

My hands frantically run across the cars seat, trying to grab the bag that just isn't there. "Oh my god." I mutter, panicking. I must have left it behind at the diner. How could I have forgotten it? In my rush to leave I guess I didn't think about grabbing it. My money is in my purse, how am I supposed to pay the taxi driver?

"What's wrong?" The driver asks turning around after he stops in front of my house. I begin to run through different ways to tell him I have no money.

"My purse, I think I left it at the diner." I say, bringing my hands up to cover my face. First Sam and now this, how can life throw so many terrible things relentlessly at the same time.

"Ain't my problem, sweetheart." the greasier middle-aged man growls. I shrink back, ashamed that I can't pay him. I look over at my house, my poor mother is sitting inside waiting for me and I can't help her. A figure suddenly appears in front of the door, their hand taps at the glass. I catch a glimpse of their face, seeing Mr. Payne peer down at me through the window. I almost believe he isn't real until he speaks.

"You forgot your bag." he shouts through the window, holding it up to show me. My body relaxes as I open the door, grabbing it from him.

"Thank you so much." I say graciously, getting out of the car. I never thought I would be so happy to see him. I'd be in so much trouble if he wouldn't have noticed that I left my bag in the booth. My eyes travel to his black car parked behind the taxi, Harrison leaning against it, staring at his feet. I can't believe I didn't notice it following me, not that I was really looking for it or paying attention.

"You're welcome. I tried to stop you before you left but you sort of ran out." he says, his hand  rising running across the back of his neck.

"Hey!" the taxi driver shouts and interrupts us after rolling down the passenger door window. "I don't have all day here, give me my money." The greedy man finishes and I remember that I have yet to pay him. I begin to dig in my purse to find my wallet, halting my actions when Mr. Payne pulls out his own wallet and walks to the passenger door. He pulls out a few bills and hands them through the window to the driver, paying my fare. "Thanks." the guy says and doesn't waste any time driving away.

"Why- why did you do that?" I ask, looking up to him and then at the cab that disappears down the street. When my eyes return to Mr. Payne, they meet his but he is closer to me, closer than I would have ever expected him to be. I lose my breath when his eyes fall to my lips, and for a moment, I actually believe that he is going to kiss me. But why would that happen?

I clear my throat, dismissing my thoughts and peer over his shoulder at the red door of my mother's house. "My mom." I whisper and shove past him, brushing his shoulder. It probably wasn't the nicest way for me to leave him, but my mother needs me.