Chapter 9 On The Lake

After our kiss on the bridge, my thoughts were floating around in my head as we were heading for a lake where boats were lazily floating. I can guess what comes next...

     - You're taking me on a boat ride? I asked him, curious to know where he got the idea.

     - Yeah, he says, a little nervous. I don't know why but you seem like a person that to be near water, or on a boat.

     I giggle as we climb on one of the boats for a short ride with some other people. The boat rushes forward and splits the smooth surface of the water with it's hull, white like a pearl.

     - You're actually kind of right, I replied to Charlie as he looked at me, puzzled. When I lived in Canada, my family and I went to my grandfather's chalet every summer and our week was mostly filled with pontoon rides or walks in the woods.

     - Good memories then, he concludes.

     I nodded and leaned myself over the railing to watch the waves pass on the edge of the boat. The green water had a hypnotic contrast against the hull and bubbles were floating to the surface.

     Without realizing it, Charlie took out his camera from his backpack. He took my picture as my eyes were lost in my fuzzy reflection from the surface of the lake.

     - Look, Charlie ordered me by showing me the picture he had taken of me.

     My hair was flying in the wind and a blissful smile was nestled on my lips.
My dress was marrying my semi-pale skin and the fabric kissed the curves I usually despised. For the first time in my life, I thought I looked pretty.

Charlie saw the expression on my face and immediatly transfered the photographe into my phone with a certain cable he always carried around.

- So, do you like it? He asks me.

- The picture? Yes... I'm kind of pretty... For once, I say, immediately regretting my words.

My date looked at me with a puzzled expression as I told him about a small part of my insecurities. He took my hand, intertwining our fingers, and kissed me on the forehead.

- You're pretty Madison... You've always been. Forget those skinny models and think of you. Your intricate qualities are there and together they are amazing! Charlie reassures me. Believe in yourself Maddie.

I blushed and he tucked me in his arms. I never felt myself so close to someone in a short period of time. Was it a dream? Is something going to happen and erase these fabulous feelings?

I lock away those nasty thoughts and rest my head on Charlie's shoulder. I feel him smile against my thick brown hair.

     - Thanks, I whispered.

     He took me in his arms. The boat spread its sails above us and we advanced on the lake as the sun began to descend from its zenith.

     That's when I noticed a tattoo on his left wrist. An anchor in flaming red ink. The same color as the little girl's cloak.

     - You have a tattoo? I asked, gently sitting up again.

     Half a smile appeared on his face and he turned his gaze on his tattooed wrist.

     - Yeah, it's been a while, he said.

     - In honor of what?

     - The girl with the cape, he added after a moment's hesitation, his eyes lost in the city again.

     I hesitate to speak, knowing that this subject is difficult for him. To my surprise, he turned to me, his short curls floating in the wind.

     - It's time that you know the story behind it, he said.

     The boat returned to the dock and we clumsily got off. A ball of stress settled in my stomach, as I ached to know the story.

     - Why not tell it over a good meal? He said, pointing at a restaurant not far from where we were.