Chapter 1 The beginning of a story

- Madison! You did what?! Screams Annie, her blond hair fluttering in the wind.

She looks at me with her green eyes, bewildered of what I had just said.

- You heard me. I had a one night stand, I repeated, feeling my heart beat louder.

Autumn leaves fluttered on the sidewalk, coming from Central Park. On the terrasse of the cafe where we were, there were only a few other people, glued to their cell phones. There were never many people here on Sunday morning.

     Looking my best friend in the eyes, I felt the blood rush to my cheeks. I knew her opinion on one night stands and clubs. She hated them, finding it repulsive that someone would stop to find someone to sleep with in those "boxes of prostitutes and strippers."

     Yet Annie was lovely, with full lips, artistically placed hair and soft and perfect skin. She would be incredibly popular in a place like the Ritz, my favorite place that was a combination of a bar and a club. But of course, a woman with such beauty had a boyfriend. She will soon be five years into dating Joey Giorno, a large muscular man that vaguely smelled like spices and peppermints.

     - I know what you're thinking, but it's not like that..., I said, trying to defend myself.

     - Oh yeah? So this is not your traditional after-breakup maneuver?

     I frowned, sipping once more my green tea. I know she refers to my recent separation with my ex-boyfriend, Mark. I had recently discovered he was cheating on me with an intern of his departement at work. Giving no chances to cheaters, I immediately dumped him, leaving my heart shattered.

     Annie knows me like the back of her hand. She knows that to clear my head after a bad relationship, what I prefer are those that last only a few hours, without commitment or long term stuff where we can have some fun without the forever part. Although this is also the reason why I am sad, it reassures me that even after I cut off from the world of singles, I am still wanted amongst them.

     However, I must tell the truth to Annie.

     - Well, it is true that it all started from that perspective, but that's not how it ended. Wait to hear that Annie, you'll be surprised ...

     - Okay fine. But this is the last time I listen to the story of one of your "relationships with no future! "

     - Don't worry, just listen. And do not interrupt me, I say.

     She rolls her eyes, sucking another gulp of her raspberry-kiwi smoothie with a tacky yellow straw.

     She doesn't have a clue about what I am about to tell her...

- So it all began friday, at about 9pm...