Chapter 8 With Charlie

Our first destination: Central Park Zoo.

     I followed Charlie on the path of stones. I felt like I was 5 years old again, when my father took me here for the first time, before we moved to Toronto.

     We stopped in front of the bear's enclosure. They were sleeping quietly in the shade of the trees while I turn myself to Charlie, my arms resting on the wooden fence. Charlie's mocking eyes met mine and my heart jumped again. What is happening to you Maddie?

- Do you like it? Wonders Charlie, hoping for a positive response.

- Totally! It's been twenty years since I came here for the first time. It brings back good memories, I say.

Pleased that his schedule is on track, the man with pronounced cheekbones grabbed me again by the hand and we went on our way.

While we were zigzagging between the enclosures and the crowds of tourists, I began to think about the relationship between me and Charlie. There was something magical there and I saw a good future, but after all, this is just routine for him, right? But his hand was completing mine and my heart was capsized by his smile. I felt at home with him, he inspired me confidence.

On the other hand, I know that I always attach myself too quickly to people I meet. I wouldn't want to ruin everything, or realize that this is not real. I'm afraid of not being able to interest him enough. I wasn't always considered a beauty, fearing me being chubby or my lack of makeup drove people away.

While my insecurities resurfaced, we leave the zoo to find ourselves in another corner of Central Park. Trees lined the road decorated with benches and lampposts. People, tourists and New Yorkers, came and went, basking in flowers or sharing food.

     Charlie's bare arm brushed mine and our hands were still glued together, inseparable. My lover was wearing a cute hat, a kind of fedora made of straw, lined with black fabric. Sunglasses before his eyes, his smile was there to demonstrate his constant good humor. We were both in summer clothing in this miraculously warm autumn day, I in yellow dress and he in a striped tank and some dark jeans. Usually I hate dresses, preferring pants, but it reflected my mood in the presence of my unusual acquaintance.

We were heading towards Bethesda Terrace, a popular spot for tourists. The sun warmed my skin as we walked quietly, talking about everything and nothing. Some musicians were playing their music in exchange for small change. We gave money to a few who had talent and some greeted Charlie, as if they knew him.

We continued our journey to the fountain. The clear water was sparkling under the sun.

- Wait!, said Charlie. Can we at least take a selfie? If it's okay with you...?

- Of course!

And that's what we did, a picture on his cell and another on my own. After our selfies, we stopped on the edge of the river where ducks were swimming around.

We continued our way. We were talking about which university we studied and that's when the question came to me.

- Charlie, how old are you?

He looks at me, eyes full of malice. Turning around, he said cheerfully;

- How many years do you give me?

I stared at him while we cross a bridge. When we reached the middle, we made a stop and leaned on the railing.

- I don't know... Twenty-seven years? I said, uncertain.

Charlie laughed loudly and a few people turned their heads. My companion looked at me, smiling.

- I'm twenty-three actually, he giggled.

     - What?! Woah, I feel like an idiot now! I laughed, a little embarrassed.

- Well you're the most beautiful I've ever met, he whispered.

I stopped laughing as he stared at me with soft eyes. Well he knows how to get a girl's attention! Charlie approached me and gently kissed my lips in the middle of the bridge. The beautiful weather added it's magic touch and when he pulled away from me, that's when I understood.

I was falling in love with Charlie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your opinion? Is it going to be different with Madison?
Vote and comment!
Thank you!

- QueenOfTheSharks

Finding Charlieजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें