Chapter 2 Friday night at the Ritz

~ Friday Night ~

I enter the Ritz, happy to finally find this familiar corner of New York. Not the most popular club, it still draws people in due to the effectiveness of the bartenders and the large number of booths and comfortable sofas. It was the number one place for going out with friends or for meeting super trendy guys or girls.

The club was still in it's early hours, being only 9 pm. I sat at the counter in front of Tony, my favorite bartender.

Homosexual, he had good taste in men and sent me those he couldn't catch. We knew each other since college, where he was taking the same course as me. Only he had decided to continue working at the Ritz, preferring to work in the friendly club instead of unsympathetic offices. I had done some shifts here in the past, but I preferred working during the day and to be the one ordering drinks instead of concocting them.

The typical hair gel was covering Tony's hair. Tonight, he was wearing a black shirt and his best bow tie of a scarlet red color. His sleeves were rolled up to the beginning of his forearm, so we perfectly saw the beginning of his tattoo sleeve. In my opinion, this was a real piece of art since he himself created all the designs that were on his tanned skin.

     I leaned over the counter, looking at Tony while he spoke to a man possibly in his thirties. The stranger was sporting a beard and black sunglasses. I smiled curiously, because it was not the kind of man that Tony preferred.

     Tony was speaking with a low voice to his client, head down. His blue eyes regularly stalked the muscular shoulders of the guy, and a prankster smile remained on his face constantly. I seriously wonder what is going in his little corner.

     Meanwhile, I look at the new decorations of the Ritz, who had recently been renovated. The typical purple color of the club was still around, and I was fascinated by the structure of the ceiling that had a newly black background with purple details. The booths were a dark purple and the tables of a black wood. Same with the sofas that seemed softer than ever.

     I turn again to face the counter, the same dark wood as the other tables. I leaned on the ledge, trying to decide on what I will drink tonight, nonalcoholic, of course.

     You see, when I start hunting for a man, I like to keep all my senses alert. And it is also a good way to be more secure against men that aren't sweet. Anyway, I never drank in my life, and that Tony knows. That is why when a guy wants to buy me a drink, I always say a beer, give a nod to Tony and he serves me Seven Up in a pre-washed beer bottle. I can truly say that I love my bartender, he's my right arm!

     The music volume increases, which pulls me from my thoughts. The people begin to flow in, 10pm already. The man who conversed with Tony had just left and I see my friend approach me with a smile.

     - Hey Maddie! It's been a while!

     I smiled at Tony, happy to find him as merry as usual.

     - Hey Tony, how are you? I said, feeling the excitement of a new evening start to tighten my stomach.

     Tony plates his hands on the counter in front of me, his smile widening even more.

- I'm alright, somewhat tired. It's good to see you again Madison! I swear, the club had dropped by at least half of it's clients since you're gone!

     I laugh, flattered. That's when the bartender's face softened, meaning that the subject which followed would be more serious.

     - But what happened with Mark? I thought you two we're solid.

     I begin to tell him the whole story, while he prepared me a simple Shirley Temple, my favorite drink. When I said it all started when I found the panties of the intern in Mark's suitcase, Tony looks at me, confused.

- Mark? He did that !? Unbelievable, he muttered, handing someone a beer.

Minutes later he was aware of the whole story and knew exactly what I needed.

- My little Miss Maddie, you're in need of a challenge, he said with his English accent.

I look at him, confused. My excitement grows even more, and the loud music tempo was also a leading reason.

- You need a date, why not a hottie? You always hold back but tonight, take a nine or a ten. I swear, you'll feel better and if you can not provide you, a seven or an eight will be enough, he said, smirking.

Fear was now holding my ribs. A ten? I had never even considered looking for legends like that... No, me, Maddie Stinson, I just go for men of my caliber, no more, no less!

- Tony! How do you want me to hit a ten when I usually take some fives?

- It's simple, take my advice!

My bartender laughs and makes a snap with his fingers.