Bookstore

(Kinda long AU where Phil owns a bookstore and Dan loves to read.)

Phil looked up as the bell on the door jingled, signaling someone entering the store.

It was rare to see a new face around the tiny store, crammed on a London corner. Usually, it was just the "regulars", coming back every now and then to read the newspaper while sipping coffee. However, the boy who entered looked much different than a regular; his black shirt and skinny jeans stood out against the soft pastels of the book store.

"Welcome," Phil said from behind the counter. "Anything you're looking for today?"

The boy blushed, seeming a bit shy. Phil could relate. "Uh, yeah...do you know where the Harry Potter books are?"

Phil smiled, and led the boy to the shelf in the front of the small store. "Right here," he said. "I placed them here because they're my favorite, and all of my favorites are in the front."

"Funny, I seem to like all of these books," the boy said awkwardly, a tiny smile on his lips. He studied the books, trying to choose the perfect one to read. It was then that Phil studied him; with a soft face, a very prominent dimple, all framed by chocolate brown hair, it was hard to deny that he was attractive.

"I'm guessing you've already read Harry Potter?" Phil said, trying to keep the conversation going.

The boy smiled again, his dimple showing. "Yeah. It's my favorite series. What do you think I should read?"

Phil pointed to the John Green section of the shelf. "I love Looking for Alaska," he said. "It's a bit less exciting than wizards, but it's a really good story."

The boy picked up the book, and flipped through the pages. "It smells nice," he said. "I think I'll try it."

Phil laughed lightly. "You judge books by their smells?"

"It's never let me down before," The boy said cheekily. He grinned widely at Phil. "I'm Daniel, by the way. You can call me Dan."

"I'm Philip. You can call me Phil," Phil said, blushing ever so slightly. There was something about the boy--Dan--that seemed to entrance him, as if he himself were a spell from Harry Potter.

After a second, Phil spoke again. "Would you like some coffee?"

"Yeah, if you don't mind," Dan responded. Phil smiled and turned to go to the back room where the coffee maker was. He made a cup, added two sugars on a whim, and headed out.

Dan was seated on a well-worn recliner by the window. It was the best seat in the bookstore, in Phil's opinion. He brought the coffee over to Dan, who sipped it gratefully. "How much sugar did you put in this?"

"Two," Phil answered shyly.

Dan took another drink. "It's delicious. Thank you." he said quietly.

Phil nodded, and went back to the counter. He picked up his own book, The Fault in our Stars (which he had read several times already), and began reading himself. However, he kept feeling his eyes being pulled away from his book and to Dan, who was sitting only a meter or so away. The way his straight hair curled at the ends and framed his face was adorable, Phil thought. He noticed Dan's habit of mouthing the words he was reading, and smiled to himself.