Chapter Eleven

January 5, 1972 3:56 p.m.
"You'll be okay." I said softly, rubbing the girl's shoulder. She raised a tear-stained face. She jumped back from me.

"Who are you?" she slunk away from me, and I held out a hand to her.

"I'm Raymond." I smiled. "You don't have to be afraid of me." She took my hand gently.

"I'm Esther." she gave me a tearful smile. I reached over to the nightstand beside her bed and handed her a tissue. "Thanks." Esther wiped her eyes and nose. I sat down on the edge of her bed.

"Why were you crying?" I still held her hand, and noticed that she tightened her fingers. She shook her head, a sheet of blond hair brushing across her cheek.

"I couldn't. I don't want to go back." she sniffed back a sob. I drew her into a hug.

"It's gonna be okay, Esther. I won't let you go back." I whispered. I racked my brain, trying to think where she might go. I then remembered that the scientist, Mr. Rogers, had said she had a strange reaction, or condition. I grew curious about her past. Maybe there was something on the news that I could find!

"Please don't let me go back. It was too hard." she started crying again. I rubbed her back. Esther pulled away. "Why do you care about me?" I let my arms fall to my sides.

"Because Someone else cared enough to save me." I said. Esther stared at me, her brown eyes searching, trying to find it. I smiled. "And He cares about you also, Esther." She shook her head.

"No. God gave up on me when my..." her voice trailed off. "When someone I knew died." Tears ran down her cheeks again. I took her hand.

"But He never gave up on you, Esther! He wants you back, all-" she cut me off.

"Yes, He did, and He doesn't care! He never died! That's why God took Matthew away!" she sobbed, yanking her hand out of mine. "Just go! God never cared! Never! He can't and won't take me back!" she took her hands and pushed me. I got up and went to the door.

God, please help her! She needs you! I looked back at Esther, her face hidden in her sheets. "I won't give up on trying to get you back. God loves you, Esther."

"Just go!" she sobbed. A nurse came past me, looking at me with a frown on her face. I left, closing the door behind me.

"I blew it, didn't I, Lord?" I ran a hand over my face. "Please help her. She needs you." I prayed as I walked back to my dad's room. My mom was sitting next to my dad, rubbing his hand. She looked up when she saw me.

"Where did you go, Raymond?" she asked, gripping my dad's hand tightly. I sat down on the other side of my father.

"I went to get a drink, and heard someone crying. So I went to comfort them, and she just got all worked up." I glanced over my dad. His oxygen mask was still on his face.

"She?" Mom had a strange tint to her voice.

"It's not like that, mom!" I protested. "I just met Esther!" I blushed in spite of myself.

"Esther?" Mom laughed softly. I shook my head.

"Stop it, mom." I felt my face still heating up. My mom suddenly gave a gasp. "What?"

"Your father! He's awake!" Happy tears rolled down her face. "Praise the Lord!" she kissed my dad's hand. "Raymond, please go get the doctor!" My dad was turning his head slowly towards my mom. His eyes fluttered, and he gave a weak smile. I hurried out of the room, but not before I heard my dad say softly, "Thank God I'm here." I could've flown. I wondered what my dad had experienced through his coma. Thank you, God! Thank you! I ran down the halls to find the doctor.