Chapter Four

January 3, 1972 9:15 p.m.
I sat in the armchair, reading my Bible as my mom watched the news. I don't know why she even cared to watch it, it was almost always the same. The wound that the officer had picked at was trying to heal again, with prayers from myself and my mom. What showed up on the news broke it open again.

Mom and I both leaned forward to listen closely. "...accident. Two were injured, and are most likely to survive. Philip Daikon, the third, suffers from a broken neck and a head injury. He and the other victims are now staying in Community Hospital..." I reached over and flicked off the television. My mom turned and hugged me tight. My Bible slipped off my lap and I hugged my mom back.

Even though anger separated us from dad, deep down, there was love. They knew that they didn't go well together, and were rather like sauerkraut and ketchup. I rubbed circles in my mom's shaking back and leaned my head against hers.

"Dad'll be okay, mom. He's a fighter. God can save him now." I felt deep regret for calling my dad a two-year-old, and for ever yelling at him all together. I think I was getting an understanding of my dad that I had never had before. I hugged my mom tighter as she sobbed, and there we sat for a few minutes, crying and rocking back and forth. When she finally settled down, she patted her hair and grabbed her purse.

"Let's see your father." her voice still wobbled, but I stood with her and placed my hand on her shoulder. We walked out to the car and drove down the dark streets towards the hospital. As we drove, I kept glancing at the scenery outside to keep myself calm. Mom was still breathing shakily.

"We should pray together, mom." I said softly. My mom nodded, and pulled over to the side. We joined hands, and I started. "Lord, we're afraid for dad. Even though he isn't a Christian, we still love him. You do, too, I know. Please help us guide him back to you." I said. My mom joined in then.

"Help me control my anger, Father God. I haven't some face to face with him in many years, and I don't know if he'll survive this accident. Please work your wonders, Lord. Amen." We glanced up, and I gave my mom a smile. She kissed me on the forehead and resumed driving. I felt like a heavy stone had been lifted off my chest, that I could breathe freely. We arrived at the hospital and my mom clenched the steering wheel so tight her knuckles turned white. She parked the car, and put her keys in her purse.

"Ready, mom?" I placed my hand on her arm, and she took a deep breath and nodded. We went into the tall building and asked for his room number. Third floor, room thirty-three. Thanking the secretary, I guided my mom to the elevator. As we went up, I prayed again. Let him be alright, God!

We reached the third floor and easily found my dad's room. My mom stopped before the door, closing her eyes and breathing heavily. I hugged her.

"It's going to be alright, mom. Come on." I smiled and knocked on the door. A nurse opened it.

"Are you relatives of Mr. Daikon?" she was very friendly, and I took a liking to her right away. My mom just stood, frozen in space. I answered for her.

"Yes. His wife and son." I gently pushed my mother into the room after the nurse nodded her consent. When I saw my dad, I couldn't believe what I saw. My mom collapsed in a chair beside the bed and grabbed my father's hand.

I stood behind my mother and asked the nurse, "How bad is he?" To me he looked pretty out of commission. The nurse gave a large sign and brushed back a strand of gray hair.

"He's as well as can be expected. He has a fifty-fifty chance." she checked over the equipment and stood on the other side.

I looked at my dad, who was breathing softly, an oxygen mask over his face, and a brace on his neck. Tubes were plugged into his right arm, and a heart monitor was on his chest. Please heal him, Lord. We need him, in spite of the hate between us. Please heal him. I prayed as I watched the heart monitor make its zigzags over the black grid screen.