Chapter Nineteen

Začít od začátku

"I'm cool with that." Josh leaned back on the couch, sipping his soda.

"Couples game it is." Riley smiled. She began to set up the game with the help of Liam and Lucas, and they began. "Auggie and Ava do you want to start?" They nodded and drew and card from the box.

"What's your definition of cheating?" Auggie read. "Well-"

"When you hold hands with another girl on the playground, when you sit next to another girl at lunch, when you give your second cookie to someone else." Ava listed.

"I've never done any of that?"

"I know, but don't ever do it."

"Okay, our turn." Riley interupted the little nine year old argument and drew a card. "How important are birthdays, anniversaries, and other holidays to you?"

"Very important!" Liam responded.

"Yeah, they're really important." Riley agreed. She passed the deck to Maya and Lucas who pulled a card.

"What's the best relationship advice you've ever gotten?" Lucas read. He began to think as he set the card on the table.

"I know!" Maya smiled. Lucas looked at her and waited for her answer. "If you love two people, go for the second because if you really loved the first you wouldn't have noticed the other."

"Well I wonder who told you that." Lucas' sarcasm filled the room and everyone laughed, smirking at the couple. "Your turn, Josh." Lucas handed him the deck of cards and Josh pulled one out.

"Is there anyone you miss right now- Game over." He shoved his card back into the deck and left the room. Auggie and Ava were clearly confused, not really understanding the feel of the room yet, but when Maya sighed and looked down at her hands, they understood.

"We'll be in my room." Auggie laughed nervously, grabbing Ava's hand and running out of the living room.

"I-I should go talk to him..." Maya stood up off the floor and walked down the hall, searching for Josh. "Josh?" Maya called out. "Josh?" She peaked into Riley's room and saw him sitting at the bay window. "Hey, Josh..."

"Hi, Maya." He didn't turn to look at Maya when he spoke. He kept his gaze locked on whatever was outside the window.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" He laughed.

"Who do you miss?" Maya sat next to him, hoping he would turn his head and actually look at her so they could have a normal conversation.

"No one, I just didn't want to answer the question."

"Oh, come on, Josh, just tell me!"

"Just drop it, damnit!" He stood up, walking over to Riley's bed and sitting down.

"Excuse me, but it would be greatly appreciated if you didn't talk to me like that."

"You really have changed, huh?" Josh looked up at Maya who had her arms folded over her chest.

"I have. I thought you didn't like me."

"So did I!" He laughed.

"What happened?"

"You weren't your crazy, freaky, self when I walked in and... I don't know."

"Well whatever happened, you gotta get over it. Find someone that you like from day one and don't let her go. Find someone who fascinates you."

"You fascinated me for a bit, bu-"

"No buts. I found someone and completely forgot about you... no offense... It's your turn."

"You're right... I should've given you a chance when I had the chance." He laughed to himself.

"Yeah, well you didn't." Maya stood up, slightly bitter now, and walked out of the room back to the living room.

"Is he okay?" Riley asked.

"Peachy." Maya smiled. Lucas had moved up from the floor onto a chair and Maya took a seat on his lap, wrapping an arm around his neck.

"What'd you say to him?" Riley asked nervously.

"Is told him it was his turn to move on." Maya smirked, hugging Lucas. He wrapped an arm around her waist and set his free hand on her knee. Josh appeared in the doorway to the room, taking a seat next to Liam and looking down at his phone.

"Everyone staying here tonight?" Lucas, Maya, and Liam nodded but Josh stood up from the couch.

"I can't, actually. I have plans."