There was the obvious issue of his personality. Then there was the obvious issue of my personality. Then there was the obvious problem that our personalities didn't mesh well. At all.  

I couldn't see myself with Axel. I couldn't see myself with someone I didn't trust or could be honest with. Any hypothetical partner of mine had to be someone who wouldn't get in my way, but wouldn't always let me have my way. 

If I looked down on someone, that person couldn't be a partner—that would just be someone I was using. 

And if someone looked down on me? That also wasn't a partner—that was a body. 

I would never be interested in Axel. He and I lived in entirely different worlds, and I was okay and content with that. There was no way that I'd grow to like someone like that. 

"Oliver!" A cheerful greeting had me turning around. I gave the lady a sweet smile. Sahra? One of the ladies I'd seen around the Reaper place a lot. "Are you looking for Axel? He should be up in his room, but I can call him down for you if you want," she leaned in, excited. 

I leaned back just slightly, picking up the bowl I had come down for and trying to escape. "Thank you, I appreciate it," I gave her another sweet smile. "I'm actually heading up right now, though, so please don't bother yourself for me," I inched away.

She stepped in, beaming at me. The overly-friendly behaviour was something I was becoming used to, but it still unnerved me. At least I knew they didn't have bad intentions—just bad control over their 'creepy, excited smile' reflex. "Oh, I'm sure he'd love to help you carry that—"

"Oliver," someone else interrupted. Sahra and I turned, seeing Axel's younger sister—the one in highschool, Hannah—at the kitchen door. She nodded at Sahra politely, and Sahra's face fell minutely as she backed off. Hannah turned to me, nodding in greeting before jerking her head outside. 

The power dynamics of the house were another thing I was starting to get used to. It was weird, but I guess social hierarchies existed everywhere. Highschool, workplaces, why should it be any different at a place as big as this?

I gave Sahra another sweet smile. "See you later, thank you." She beamed at me again, looking charmed, waving as I followed Hannah out. 

I let out a slight sigh when we were safely out of the range of over-eager aunties. Hannah huffed a laugh, giving me a knowing look. She seemed down to earth, so I figured being a little more honest with her would be fine, and I gave her a mildly exasperated look in return.

"They're a bit much, aren't they," Hannah's voice was knowing. 

I shrugged light-heartedly. "It's sweet that they care," I offered neutrally.

Hannah's look was experienced, almost. "It's just a bit of idol-worship, it'll pass," she advised. I turned to her, confused. Idol worship? "You're what a lot of them want as a son or son-in-law," she explained. 

I nodded, keeping my face blank. I hesitated for a moment, not sure if I should bring it up. "They seem to..." I eyed Hannah for a quick second. It would be fine talking to her, wouldn't it? "Really like matchmaking," I finished.

Hannah blinked, turning to me. I kept my face casual, but Hannah was quick enough to understand what I was getting at—how everyone kept trying to hint at me and Axel.

She let out a slow breath. "It's..." she scratched her cheek, mouth opening and closing. Seeming to struggle to explain it, she gave me an apologetic look. "It's rare for a crush..." Hannah trailed off. 

 I bit back a frown. A crush? Was she implying Axel had a crush on me? It didn't feel that way. 

Hannah shook her head, trying again. "There's times in life," she started, choosing her words carefully. "When you meet someone who—though they might not seem like it, at first—holds the key to a lot of gates you wish to pass through," her brows furrowed in thought. "—With company. And everyone wants to help a struggling but sincere kid, right?"