Chapter 36

Rowan's POV

I woke up on the floor, surrounded by everyone else still sleeping. I plucked off a few limbs that were spewed on top of me and stood up quietly. I tiptoed away from them and checked the time.

5:30 in the morning. Great.

Hmm. What to do? What to do? They probably won't be up for hours but here I am wide awake.

I slid my finger along the rows of books on the shelves. "Fahrenheit 451," I read the title aloud, taking it in my hands.

I shrugged, opening to the first page.

Fahrenheit 451-
The temperature at which
book paper catches
fire and burns . . .

By the end of the book, I was near tears. I hope that future was a false prediction because dang.

I looked back to the clock after returning the book to its spot.

7:00. I slipped out the door and to the bathroom, brushing my teeth and getting ready for the day.

When I reentered the room, Thomas was stirring in his sleep before he opened in eyes. He yawned, stretching, and then cuddled back into Tyler's chest peacefully, who held Thomas protectively in grasp, his eyebrows furrowed together. Lily's arms were wrapped around herself . Vicky held a pillow close to her body and Russell's arms were laid in front of him, his hands patting the empty space every now and then.

I cocked my head to the side. I think you can tell a lot from the way a person sleeps. When they're at rest and most vulnerable and unaware of others and they don't have the slightest thought of insecurity about them. Everything is real in those moments.

I smiled at them, placing my hands behind my back and pacing around the room. At about 8, the door swung open and Charlie was standing there. His face was red, tear stains on his cheeks.

"Woawan," he sniffled. "Promise you won't let them hurt me," he hugged my waist with his small arms.

I picked him up, looking at him worriedly. "Who? Who's going to hurt you?" I asked, taking us into his room so we wouldn't wake anyone up.

"Them," he repeated, hiding his face in my shoulder and beginning to cry again.

"Charlie, who's them?"

He whimpered, not answering. "They told me to act lady-like and that girls shouldn't slouch. They said I couldn't cut my hair and they called me-" a sob escaped his lips before he finished.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "Stay here. I'll be right back," I told him, hurrying to get Vicky.

She woke startled and alert, rushing to the room and taking Charlie in her arms. "Don't worry, Charlie. No one's going to do anything to you. I won't let them. I promise."

In 15 minutes he was calmed down and fast asleep once more.

"What just happened?" I questioned, confused as ever.

"He's transgender." She explained the term, noticing my expression.

"Oh," I nodded, finally understanding.

"Ya. How long have you been up?"

"Since 5:30."

"Jeez. Why so early?"

"It's what I'm used to," I shrugged.

She shook her head. "Get up bîtches," Vicky nudged Thomas with her feet. "Let's go," she said in Lily's ear. "Before I get the trumpet."

Russell groaned, rolling over. Tyler looked up at her, frowning. "Fück you," he muttered.

She laughed. "Come on. I'm making pancakes."

"Ooh," Russell jumped up. "I'm in." He left to use the bathroom and as they began waking up everyone was waiting to get in. Luckily there was two.

Thomas bounded down the stairs, Tyler following behind him. Thomas spun towards us, laughing, and picking up the spatula, tossing a pancake into the air before catching it.

"Smells good," he commented.

"Thomas," Tyler groaned. "Shut up. It's only 8:45. How are you already like this?"

"I'm a morning person. Sorry," he shrugged, grinning.

"Lil! Russ!" Vicky called. "Get your butts down here!"

"Agh, you're all so loud," Tyler covered his ears and shut his eyes.

Lily and Russell joined us in the kitchen. Russell ran his hands through his hair, attempting to undo the knots. Lily pushed her glasses up the bridge of her nose, sleepily.

"I'm tired," she said, sitting at the table and resting her head in her hands.

"Oh, I love when you wear your glasses Lily," Tyler grinned. "They really suit you."

"Right," Lily said sarcastically.

"Rowan, keep an eye on these. I'm gonna get plates," Vicky told me, stepping towards the cabinets.

"Oh. Uh, ok," I copied what she had done before and flipped the food every now and then. "Oh gosh. Am I doing this right?"

Russell chuckled. "They're fine. You're doing fine."

"Here," Thomas turned a knob. "They're finished." He took the plates from Vicky and slid them on, then placed them around the table.

We began eating, when we heard footsteps upstairs.

"Ooh, panqueques," her mom smiled at us.

Her other mom followed shortly after, Charlie trotting behind her. He tripped on one of the steps and she gasped.

"Hijo," her mom picked him up. "Are you alright," she asked, with a thick Spanish accent.

He nodded and their other mom took him. "I'm going to get him ready and go to the store. We need a few things," she said, while Charlie played with her frizzy black curls.

"What do you wanna do now?" Vicky asked, putting the plates in the dishwasher.

"Can we go to the park?" Thomas asked.

"Why do you always want to go to the park," Tyler questioned.

"Because it's funn Tyyy," he said.

"Alright, let's go," Vicky pulled on her shoes and we walked to the park.

Ant's POV

"Dec?" I looked at him once we were left alone.

"What?" He said bitterly.

"I'm so sorry. I never meant-"

"Oh, cut the crâp Ant. Don't lie to me. You cheated. If you didn't want to hurt me then you wouldn't have done that. Sorry isn't going to change anything."

"Then what will? I want to fix this. I want to fix us. I care about you Dec. Please," I begged.

His face was hard. "I don't know Ant. I trusted you. I loved you. You ruined everything and it's not going to be fixed that easily."

"Please Dec, give me a chance," I felt horrible. How could I do this?

"Fine. You get one chance. One. That's it. Don't screw it up." And with that he left me alone.

Dec's POV

"Damnit," I slammed my fist on the table. Why do I still love him? Why do I even care? Why the hell did I give him another chance? I should hate him! I hate myself for loving him!

I pulled at my hair and screamed into a pillow on the bed.

I still don't know why