Chapter 18

Ant's POV

"Where you found us." Dan said.

"How is that going to help her?" I asked.

"I need to remind her of who she is. I get the whole Red thing. But that's not truly her. I can't let Rowan get replaced by Red. Red is not my sister. Rowan is. Rowan was the happy one. Red is a sad victim."

"Dan, did it ever occur to you that she might not know what happiness is?" Dec asked.

"But she was smiling and laughing."

"That doesn't mean she's happy." I said.

"But we aren't trapped anymore. We have a real family now. You two." Dan said quietly.

"You think of us as family?" I whispered.

"Of course. You're the only ones who have cared in a long time."

"Alright, I'll go take a walk with her. I'll talk to her. Figure her out a little bit more. You go in with Dan." Dec said.

I looked up. I hadn't even realized Dec had started driving. We were outside the house again. And we had to go in. Again.

I nodded and got out of the car. Dan followed me. I didn't look back. I didn't want to see her face. I'm sure it must be twisted with confusion and fear.

Dan's POV

The entire place was empty. I walked up to the door and attempted to open it. Locked.

Suddenly I heard a loud slam. I turned around and saw Rowan. Standing outside the car. Dec walked around to her, but before he reached her she ran. She ran to the house. To us.

"Dan! What-" Dec caught her.

He easily picked her up and brought her closer to the car. He said something to her. Rowan looked back to us, then to Dec, and nodded. They talked for a moment and then walked off.

"It's locked." I told Ant. "We need a key."

But Ant was already walking away. He moved to another section off the house. To a window. I quickly followed after him.

"You can't get in that way. The windows were always-"

I gasped.

Ant looked at me and smiled. "Well we can get in now.

He took something in his hand and began to clean off the rest of the broken glass.

"What's that?" I asked, looking at the ground for another.

"A rock. The glass will hurt now that it's broken. It can cut us, sometimes really bad. So we have to be careful."

He dropped the rock and pulled himself through the window. I followed. Once we were inside I began to pick up the broken pieces and I threw the rock outside.

"Um, ah. Ya ok." Ant bent down and started to help clean up.

"That's alright. I got it." I told him.

"No no. I threw the rock through the window. It's my mess."

I never got any help cleaning. It was... different.

"Alright, now what are we looking for?" Ant asked when we finished.

R's POV (this is Rowan or Red. I just don't want you guys to know how her name is going work out yet)

Dan leaned forward and started talking to Ant and Dec. I couldn't hear them. Dan said something. Then Dec.

Ant.