Silver Horizons | 21

Mulai dari awal

            All three of us climbed the stairs, knowing that here would be rooms. The interior of the house wasn’t all that bad, honestly. The worst part was the peeling wallpaper and the water dripping from cracks in the ceiling due to water leakage. If the house had held up this long, it could hold up a few more days.

            In the upstairs hallway, picture frames adorned the walls. The pictures were of a family. A family that was probably now a zombie family. The though made me sad and repulsed at the same time. Basically, we were trespassing on that family’s house. I felt bad.

            “Why are we staying here?” I asked Forest.

            He shrugged, walking toward the door on the far end of the hallways. “It’s safe, I guess.”

            “How do you know that it’s safe? You just walked in here, yelled at Ben and Sam, and then walked us up here. There could be zombies that Ben and Sam didn’t find.”

            “For some reason,” Forest said, “I doubt that Ben and Sam made it any farther than the front door.”

            “Then how do you know that it’s safe here without a full inspection?”

            Forest suddenly turned around to face me with a steely look on his face. I almost ran into him, but I stopped just before crashing into his chest. “Do you really think the zombies are smart enough to use the sneak attack method on us? Seriously, Elijah, you need to think things through more often. If zombies were in this house they would’ve smelled us—hell, they would’ve smelled Ben and Sam—and already tried to attack us.”

            I narrowed my eyes at him.

            “Do you see any zombies attacking us?”

            I didn’t respond.

            “I didn’t think so.” With that, he turned around and barged into the door that we had stopped in front of and slammed it shut, leaving Kyle and I to stand in the hallway by ourselves.

            “Someone’s in a pissy mood today,” Kyle mumbled from beside me.

            Turning to face him, I sighed. “You could say that.”

            Kyle lifted his hand to gesture toward the door that Forest had just locked himself inside of. “I take it we get to choose our own rooms.”

            I shrugged, going toward the door closest to Forest’s. Kyle followed behind me as I walked into. Taking in the room, it didn’t look too bad. By the looks of it, the room probably belonged to a teenage girl who loved the color pink. The bed was a king, so Kyle and I could easily share without it getting too awkward.

            From beside me, Kyle scrunched his face up in disgust. “I hate the color pink.”

            I chuckled, tossing myself onto the bed. It felt so nice to be in an actual bed. “Well, get used to it, because this will be our bedroom until we decide to move onto a new location.”

            “Ugh,” Kyle groaned. “Great.”

            I smirked, snuggling up to one of the hot pink pillows that was on the bed and fluttering my eyes shut. “Just get some sleep, Kyle. You deserve it.”

When I woke up, it was still dark outside. The moon was up high in the sky, and I figured that it was around midnight. Even for a sleep that only lasted a few hours, I felt pretty awake and rejuvenated. That just proved how little sleep I regularly got back in the quarantine. I was usually up going places with Forest or I was thinking about how shitty my life was.