Silver Horizons | 15

Things are happening now, yay. Trust me though, it's not near the end yet, hahaha. I've still got a couple surprises (I hope) planned in the near future (;

_______________________________________________________

“The apocalypse happened so suddenly. I almost forgot it was real.” – Unknown

I really couldn’t believe that it was true. Were zombies really real six years ago or was it a typo? Did the person mean six months ago? That would’ve made more sense. But six years. That meant that there were people out there who knew that zombies were real six years ago and didn’t tell anybody.

            “You know what this means?” Forest asked, coming to stand beside me again.

            “No,” I answered truthfully.

            Forest sighed. “We have to find out the truth one way or another, you know.”

            I nodded my head, agreeing. We couldn’t go about our daily lives and pretend that we didn’t see this and discover a new revelation. “Yeah, but sometimes the truth hurts.”

            Forest shrugged. “But the truth is better than having something kept hidden from you for so long.” He stared me in the eyes, and I knew that he was right. Being kept in the dark about zombies for six years or more just didn’t sit well with me. “We need to know more about this, Elijah, and you know it.”

            “Yeah.”

            “We need to talk to Georgia.”

            Forest’s words took me by surprise, and I stared at him in shock. He wanted to go talk to Georgia about this? Georgia—the person who expected that everybody obeyed her every command? Were we talking about the same Georgia?

            He continued speaking. “I want to go to the source about this, you know? I want to get the truth.”

            “What if she lies?” I asked him. “Didn’t that thought occur to you? She would learn that you know stuff that you shouldn’t, and she’ll lie to keep you from the truth that you want so badly.”

            “Eli—“

            “Plus,” I said, cutting him off, “the truth is pretty clear.” I waved my hand toward the plastic cylinders containing the zombie bodies. “This zombie here has obviously been in observation for six years. Clearly these scientists and Georgia have been keeping something from the rest of the world, and maybe it’s best that that little fact stay hidden.”

            Forest rolled his eyes. “You’re afraid of adventure,” Forest told me. “You’re afraid to get your hands dirty and discover new things. You’re afrai—“

            “I’m afraid of adventure?” I asked him incredulously. “Excuse me but I’ve shot over fifty zombies, gotten blood on my hands—in reference to being afraid to get my hands dirty—and I’ve just about discovered enough with you. So please, humor me and tell me again that I’m afraid of adventure.

            “Point taken,” Forest said, “but you’re still afraid to ask Georgia about this shit.”

            I knew where he was going with this conversation now. He was aiming to psych me out and call me a chicken so that I chose myself to go along with his plan.

            “Okay,” I admitted, “you’re right. I am afraid to tell Georgia. But if you haven’t noticed, she’s a pretty scary woman. If you think about it, she could probably chop your head off with her nine inch heel.”