Chapter 17

Anabel's point of view
Damien's the first person I have ever opened up to. And to think, he's a gang leader. How did I get mixed up with him? I chuckled softly. "What's so funny beautiful?" he asked setting a plate of fresh pancakes in front of me. I blushed, and said, "Nothing. I was just thinking." He handed me a fork and plate. "Breakfast is served." he said, smiling at me. I stuck my tongue out at him, playfully. He scrunched his nose up at me. I had to laugh at his silly, quirkiness. But it felt good to laugh. I hadn't laughed in so long. Maybe I could finally let myself be happy. I smiled at him, he smiled back, a syrupy smile. I laughed again. "Geez, I think I'm falling for him" I thought. But maybe that's not such a bad thing.

Damien's point of view
She kept glancing over at me. I couldn't help but smile. Maybe I should let someone else take over the gang. I mean, come on, I have an amazing woman that deserves the best sitting across the table from me. Perhaps it's time to try to live a normal life. No more violence, no more turf disputes, just her. I could live with that. "Hey Anabel. Can I ask you something?" I said, clearing my throat. "Yes, of course." she replied. "What would you think of me if I gave up the gang?" I asked, slightly worried. "I don't know. I don't think it would really matter." she said. "What do you mean?" I asked. "Well, just that, I like you for who you are. And that's not gonna change." she said, looking away. I could see the pink of her cheeks. I gently put my fingers beneath her chin, lifting her head, and kissed her softly. She blushed brighter. "Wh...what was that for?" she asked, embarrassed. "That was for being honest." I said, gently smiling at her. She smiled back, brightly. "I need to go to work, ok? Will you be fine here by yourself?" I asked. "Mhmm." she mumbled, her mouth full. "Ok. I'll be back later." I said, I kissed her cheek before heading out.