15 * MODERN LOVE * 15

JESS

I wake up dripping in sweat, an uncharacteristic feeling of this time of year. As soon as I peel my eyes open, the events of last night hit me like a bus. I look up from laying on his chest to see him still sound asleep, breathing softly. He looks peaceful like this, the usual crease between his eyebrows is nowhere to be seen. His hair is a curly tangled mess but all I want to do is run my fingers through it.

My mind instantly moves to the presentations today. I realize now that I don't want to win, I want anything but. What was I thinking trying to take this promotion from him anyways? I only spoke up to spite him. I'm so underqualified, he obviously deserves it. Surely Lex is only being nice by entertaining the idea of me actually taking that from him.

Before I can stop myself, I'm climbing off of him as swiftly as I can and grabbing my phone off the side table. I tiptoe into the bathroom and dial Lex's number not caring about what time of morning it is. He answers after a few rings and his voice is groggy.

"Jess? What could you possibly need at seven in the morning?" He groans, his voice still trying to sound optimistic.

"I um," I start, unsure of how to say this, "I can't take that job promotion from Harry. He deserves it so much more than I do and I just butt in to make him mad, I'm sorry."

He sighs on the other side of the phone and I can picture him pinching the bridge of his nose in the same way that Harry does.

"Well, Vance told the editor that there would be two presentations."

"I'll do a presentation, I'll make sure it's bad, he can't know I told you this just make sure you send his application in for the promotion," I sigh, "please."

"Okay, Jess." He says, his voice changing to that of understanding.

He hangs up and I walk back to his bedroom to see him still sleeping soundly. I crawl back in bed and wrap his arms around me, now content and able to breathe in his embrace.

"You're cold." He murmurs, his voice deep from sleep.

"Had to go to the bathroom." I lie, allowing him to wrap the covers around me and tuck me under his arms.

"Thank god, I thought you were about to try to get me out of bed at seven in the morning." He laughs, finally lifting his head from the pillow and meeting my eyes.

I shove him, laying my hands on his warm stomach just under his shirt to warm them up. He gasps and I laugh as I wrap my hands around his waist, placing them flat against his back and making him squirm.

"Jesus, Jessica! Your hands are like fucking ice cubes!" He shouts, jumping away from my hands.

"So warm them up, then!" I laugh, teasing him as I straddle his lap and press them to his neck, making him squirm again.

He cringes beneath me, swatting me away and calling for Niall to help him which has me in a laughing fit. He grabs both of my hands in one of his and flips us around, pinning my hands down on either side of me. He's kneeling above me, holding my arms against the mattress as Niall bursts in ready to help.

"Turns out I've got it under control." Harry laughs, turning to look at Niall shaking his head in the doorway.

"Jesus Christ, Harry, I thought she was murdering you or something." He breathes, turning around and walking to the kitchen.

He turns back to look at me and his eyes instantly have me locked into their gaze. I nearly gasp when I realize how close our faces are together and suddenly all I can see are his lips.