Chapter 16 - OTP? What does that mean?

Start from the beginning

The same was true for me.

No one would want to believe that DC's savior was just a teenage boy.

Even wearing this costume that was so close to my original super costume didn't arouse suspicion. No one expected me to actually be White Lightning, so they just skid over my costume like they would anyone else's.

It was perfect, really.

"Olly!" Mary whined loudly. "Why are you still wearing that awful costume? You've worn that every year since we've known you!"

I smirked and rolled back my sleeve, "Yes, and?"

Mary huffed and stormed off to go after some kids who were climbing the empty wine cabinet instead. I knew she wouldn't stay angry for long.

"Dude, we keep this up and she'll start paying me to stop annoying her." Ian assured me whilst laughing.

(Maybe he already had too much to drink)

I smiled.

"Show me where the drinks are."

*

*

*

An hour later I was dancing in the living room with everyone else, jumping along to a song by a band I'd never even heard of. Ian had gone off with a girl I recognized from our AP Chemistry class and Mary was off somewhere telling off Henry Urban for breaking the china. I saw Elise, who was dressed as Taylor Swift, out of the corner of my eye, talking to a guy in a black hoodie.

I kept track of my friends, but at the same time I was having fun. My super instincts were still at their prime, even if my brain was a bit fuzzy from alcohol.

And, in case you were wondering, I might've been a superhero, but that didn't mean I had to be a prude. I drank even though I was underage and I occasionally ran red lights. I was no perfect citizen, but, then again, neither were our nation's leaders.

I noticed Elise and the hooded guy heading up the stairs, hand in hand. I was no fool, I knew what was going on in the upper rooms of this house – even Mary had to know.

So why was I so suddenly jealous?

Was it that brotherly gene in me that was being protective over her, or was it the part that might have feelings of the more romantic kind for her?

I ignored both arguments and kept dancing. It was the alcohol meddling with my thoughts, that's all. Elise was a single woman at a party with many viable men that she could choose from. I could not blame her for finding a guy, could I?

I turned around and found a girl with dark hair and a black mask on. I was suddenly reminded of Delinquent's piercing gaze, but quickly denounced the notion. This person was taller than I knew Delinquent to be, and her hair was straight.

"Hey!" she yelled over the tunes, "I love your costume! Don't you like mine?"

I internally laughed. This girl wasn't Delinquent, just another partygoer in a costume, like me.

"Yeah!" I yelled back.

We started dancing and, the girl and I stared at each other. She was smirking and dancing with obvious fluidity, unlike many of the other girls in here. In fact, she was even better than me.

I stared at her face and suddenly noticed something. The way her hair fell down her face, it looked more natural than it did on Delinquent. I even noticed that I could clearly see the roots on her head, something I couldn't normally notice on Delinquent. Her hair was also shiny, like it had been recently washed.