Chapter 9 - I get promoted

"With great power comes great responsibility."

~ Peter Parker (Spiderman)

I followed the stretcher as they ran it to the ambulance outside. The press, immediately after noticing that it was the one and only Captain Impossible on the stretcher, went wild when we arrived outside.

I ignored all their calls and comments as I desperately ran beside the paramedics. I couldn't leave Daniel alone now, a super who got injured was fresh pickings for the crazies and the press. As soon as a Doctor or Nurse got near him without supervision, they'd want to take off the mask, see the real man behind the name. Daniel made me swear to protect his identity when I became his sidekick, and I wanted to uphold that promise if I could.

I tried to step in the ambulance when they loaded the stretcher in, but the male paramedic stopped me. "Sorry, only immediate family members can ride with the patient."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "I'm the closest thing he's got, and right now I'm the one who knows the most about him. There's no time to argue."

He nodded and moved over, leaving me enough time and room to scoot in and close the door before the ambulance sped off to the nearest hospital, George Washington University Hospital.

"Is he allergic to anything?" The paramedic asked.

I shook my head, "No, but he gets stomach aches when he eats Lucky Charms cereal." I had no idea why I thought that information would help, but I was still in shock.

"Captain? Can you hear me?" The paramedic directed at Daniel, whose eyes were unfocused and glazing at the ceiling.

I put my head in my hands and tried to stop the shaking. I let myself think of the inevitable – Daniel dying. It only made me freak out more. Daniel was America's Hero, the nation would be devastated at his loss. He also owned the apartment building where my mother and I lived. Who knew what big corporation would take ownership next? Who would own the Comic Book Shop? How would we hide the Man Cave from any knew owners or buyers of the building?

"Son, get up, we're almost here."

I looked up just in time for the ambulance to stop. The doors opened and Daniel was rushed out. I followed him at as close of a distance as I could, but I couldn't tell if he was just that pale or if it was the stupid hospital lights making him seem that way.

At one point the Doctors had to block me from following him anymore. They were past the point where any visitors of any kind were aloud. I knew that was when they would see if they could save him, try all the lifesaving remedies they could.

I paced around the room for thirty minutes after that. They had thankfully blocked off the waiting room I was in, so no one other than medical personnel was allowed in. That way the crazy fans and other strangers couldn't barge in on White Lightning, especially while I was in such a state.

At the thirty minute mark, a Doctor walked in, heading straight for me. I perked up, hoping for any information on Daniel's condition. I tried to read the Doctor's face, but he was neutral. I was convinced that they were taught that exact expression at whatever medical school all the doctors went to. It seemed no matter the news, they kept their faces as unreadable as possible.

"What news do you have on him?" I asked, scared to death at his answer.

"After attempting to revive him many times, it seems that we could do nothing to save Captain Impossible's life."

I let that sink in, truly, for a moment.

In my heart, I knew it had been true this whole time. No one coughs up blood and foams at the mouth and suddenly, miraculously recovers in less than an hour. I should've known that he was far from gone.