Chapter 3 - Superheroes don't get social life's

"Not everyone is meant to make a difference. But for me, the choice to lead an ordinary life is no longer an option."

~ Peter Parker (Spiderman)

By the time lunch rolled around, I had almost forgotten about Delinquent. Well, I almost forgot until Mary mentioned it as we sat down at the lunch table.

"I can't believe there's another villain in town. I mean - Captain Impossible already has it hard enough with the other bad guys he puts away. Did you guys hear about what he and White Lightning did this morning?"

I shook my head. If I hadn't been there, I would've had no reason to know anyways. Mary's best friend Elise shook her head as well.

"Oh my god, it was so amazing! Apparently they stood off against Two-Face, whose hair was an embarrassing shade of orange when they scared him. They barely had to do a thing, Two-Face is no match for Captain Impossible." She squealed.

I was reluctant to point out the fact that we did in fact have to do a lot to catch Two-Face. Running across Arlington Memorial Bridge on a Moonday morning in morning traffic was no pleasant treat. Especially when the guy you're chasing panics so much that he occasionally loses control of his powers and turns into a rainbow colored man.

I also didn't point out that I, White Lightning, was the one to incapacitate Two-Face. But, it didn't matter. People saw what they wanted to see, and they wanted to see their favorite hero saving the day, not his sidekick.

"I guess that's cool." Elise said in a quiet voice.

"You guess?" Mary gasped unbelievingly. "There is no guessing about it. All supers are amazingly cool. Except for, you know, the bad ones."

Ian stuffed a bite of his sandwich into his mouth and smiled at Mary. "The bad ones are the best, they can actually break the rules."

Mary scoffed at him and stabbed her fork into her salad angrily.

Did I forget to mention that Ian was a twin? Yeah, Mary was Ian's sister, she was older than him by two minutes and forty three seconds and she never let him forget it. Mary was, in short, Type 'A' control freak. She was used to being in charge at all times, and often mothered Ian and scolded him for his childish behavior. She was also quite a bit obsessed with Captain Impossible. I didn't have the heart to tell her that he was about fifteen years too old for her.

Mary's best friend, however, was a bit of the opposite. Elise was quiet. She was quite reserved and shy, but when you got her talking, she wouldn't stop. Even though she looked fragile and adorable, she was about as strong as any weightlifter. I made the mistake once of challenging her to an arm wrestle - never again. She also had this silky blonde hair and chocolate brown eyes that helped with her image of a girl soft and cute, even if we knew better by now.

Elise's father was the White House Physician. Her mother was a Doctor at George Washington University Hospital. So she was sort of a mix of the kind of students that went here. Her dad had quite a bit of power from working in the White House, and her mom was a major Doctor at a local Hospital. It also meant that she barely saw them.

Mary flipped her dark brown hair over her shoulder and narrowed her dark eyes at me, "So, what about you, Olly? What do you think about this new vigilante who calls herself Delinquent?"

I smirked. "Well, she hasn't done any real harm to anyone, so I doubt that she's much of a threat to your precious Captain Impossible."

Ian snickered.

Mary huffed. "He's not mine."

"Also, what even is her superpower? The article Ian gave me didn't say anything about it."