Chapter 6 - Society's Remedy is here?

"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me."

~Bruce Wayne (Batman)

"Now, remind me again why you were zip-tied to the top of an apartment building?"

"I . . . um . . . I kind of found Delinquent."

"The girl vigilante." Eric clarified.

"Umm . . . yeah."

"And then what?" Daniel eagerly gestured me on.

I sighed, knowing that the recount of the night was only for their amusement. "She knocked me out and zip-tied me to a pole."

Eric and Daniel both burst out laughing for the tenth time that morning. They'd had me tell the story about last night over and over again, while I obviously kept many detail back, they had still found a kick in the fact that I was beaten by a girl, without her even having to use her powers. I was seriously considering capital murder at that point.

"Guys, come on! Just because she's a girl-"

Daniel grinned, "How short was she again?"

"Yeah," Eric entered in, "And what did she hit you with?"

I groaned as their laughter bounced off the Man Cave's walls. I couldn't just have one day free of their ridicule, could I?

"You know, if we're done making fun of me, I still have school to get to. You know, it's at the same time almost every day." I reminded them, interrupting their laughter.

Daniel sighed sadly and wiped a fake tear from his eye, "Man, I still can't believe you got beat by a girl."

I decided not to mention the fact that it was actually his fault that she even knocked me over the head in the first place. If he hadn't called, and if she hadn't misinterpreted the conversation, I would have never been in that situation.

"Let's just go. You have a city to save anyways." I picked up my backpack and headed for the door, not even looking to see if Daniel was following.

Some days Daniel's huge ego and primeval views on the world made him every bit of the self-obsessed jerk the media made him out to be as Captain Impossible.

The ride to school included more pointless bickering that I would rather not enunciate on. But when I arrived at school, it was a bit different. To be specific, our Political Sciences teacher was way too excited to face a crowd of hormonal teenagers than she usually was.

I took my seat next to Ian before the bell rang, not the only one who noticed Ms. Horan's unfamiliar grin stretched across her face as she sat anxiously at her desk. In fact, she even looked a bit jumpy.

"Hey, what's up with Ms. Horan?" I asked Ian, who looked very confused.

He shook his head, "Dude, I have no idea."

Elise, whose seat was in front of Ian and diagonally across from me, entered and sat in her seat with her own uncharacteristically large grin on her face.

Ian immediately pounced one her, "Spill it, Cupcake."

"Hmm?" her mind seemed elsewhere, very unlike the detail oriented Elise I knew.

"Why are you Little Miss Sunshine this morning?"

She smiled slyly and blushed a deep red. "No reason."

"Oh, come on. You can't just leave us like that!" Ian exclaimed.

But the bell rang before Ian could get the reason for Elise's happiness out of her. And there was no way Ian would be able to get anything out of her when we heard the topic of discussion for today's class.