Chapter 11 - Moms can't flirt

"There is a right and a wrong in the universe. And the distinction is not hard to make"

~ Clark Kent (Superman)

I watched silently as they lowered Daniel's casket into the ground. I was one of the only ones who stayed for this part, and my white spandex stood out immensely against the black that everyone else wore. Because of identity protection reasons, I wore my super suit to the funeral.

I said almost the same thing during the eulogy as I did during the press conference. I talked about his character, about how much he loved protecting this city. It was all the same every time.

"Dreary day, is it not?" Detective Pearson greeted, taking the seat next to mine.

I nodded, eye still glued to the casket.

He sighed. "We got some new information in about the poison used on Captain Impossible. The lab says that it was a mix of some of the deadliest poisons on Earth, including some liquefied Merlonium. It looks like someone was very insistent on killing him."

Merlonium was sort of like Kryptonite, but for all supers. No one knew why it affected every single super, but it did. Only supers with accelerated healing, like Sonic or the Doctor, could withstand its affects for short whiles.

I didn't bother asking about any new information on the Clown Guy. He had no identifying articles on his person, and his fingerprints didn't show up on any database. He didn't speak a word in interrogation, and he committed 'suicide' while in his overnight cell. It was obvious that he wasn't the mastermind, and that someone used him and then threw him away when his mission was over.

The police force had no leads on to whom ordered Captain Impossible's death, and most likely mine as well. Whoever they were, they must've been a powerful character in the underworld to have the resources to create the right poison that could actually hurt Captain Impossible.

"Do we have any leads on who ordered it?" I asked, my tone level.

He shook his head, "No, but we are trying our best, I assure you."

Of course. Because when you absolutely need a murder solved, it becomes unsolvable. Classic cliché right there.

"Have you got any leads on Delinquent?" He asked me.

I hesitated. I was still mad at her for potentially causing Daniel's death, but I couldn't give her up somehow. Why I felt so attached to a villain like her, I didn't know. And any information I had was useless. Sure, I knew she got her powers from the Paramount Pharmaceuticals brand ADD and/or ADHD medication, but it was still a huge pool of potential suspects. Not everyone who took the medication developed superpowers, and if her parents didn't sign her up on the list of affected, then she was listed as unaffected. And even the fact that her parents were a part of the elite was a huge guess. And in a city full of them, she would still be hard to find.

"No, she's a ghost."

He looked down with a sigh, "Well, we'll have to step up our resources. Since she attacked a senator, she's become the number one priority of the Super task force."

Yes, you heard right. Richard Head was a US senator. When Delinquent torched his office, his anti-super policies grew. He didn't even seem one bit spooked at the near death experience. In fact, Richard Head was using it as a catalyst to get more citizens to join the cause, which was just peachy for people like me.

"I hope you find her." I said, getting up out of my chair. "She's a real public menace."

Detective Pearson gave me a nod before walking away. I always appreciated the man for his dedication to the job. At this point, not too many officers wanted to join the super task force, especially since the number of villains rose high after the Paramount Pharmaceuticals accident.