Chapter Twelve

We thankfully arrive at Dr. Greene's office right on time. We are ushered into a room and the nurse gives me a gown, telling us Dr. Greene will be in shortly. I strip quickly and put the gown on, sitting on the patient bed and laying back. I am nervous for this appointment. My first trimester is nearly over and we're going to get our first sonogram of Blip.

"Stop fidgeting," Christian said softly, grabbing my hands and holding them in his large ones. I give him a small smile and nod.

"I'm just nervous," I confess, and Christian gives me an understanding smile.

"Our baby is fine, Ana. We're going to have a beautiful, healthy child and that's what you need to focus on right now."

"He's right," a voice says from behind Christian. Doctor Greene comes into view and gives me a smile.

"You ready?" She asks.

"I guess so," I say, growing more and more excited. She takes out a white cloth and places it over my lap while I pull up my gown to expose my swollen belly. She quickly squirts the gel on my belly and takes out the ultrasound transducer, moving it around my lower belly. She soon stops moving her hand and keeps the transducer beneath my belly button.

"There," she says, smiling. I look at the screen and see something small moving, making my eyes water. That's my baby. That's my little Blip. I turn to Christian and see tears welling in his eyes too. I take his hand and squeeze. We can hear a little heart beat through the monitor and it makes me tear up even more.

"Christian," I say softly, "That's our baby."

"Yes it is," he replies, kissing my forehead. We watch the screen for what seems like forever, still holding hands. I can't help but think how perfect this moment is. Absolutely perfect.