Chapter 10

Chapter 10

"Exactly what the hell made you think it was okay to follow me?! I'm not your girlfriend!"

I sighed, trying to filter out my building anger. Joshua looked like a puppy that'd just been beaten. I tried not to let that look get to me. Damn him.

"Look, Joshua, I know what we shared last night was good. Great, actually. But, like I said, it wouldn't work between us. You just need to back off, okay? There are plenty of other girls who would kill to have you as their boyfriend."

Joshua nodded.

"I know that, I just wanted to make sure you were okay. I meant what I said earlier. I wanted to come with you to protect you. You may be a spy and have a black belt in three styles of combat but that doesn't make you invincible. Plus, I could see right through your little lie."

I opened my mouth to challenge what he said but then closed it as I replayed his words in my head. I know I'm not invincible. Nobody is. The kisses we shared last night must have been more to him than they were to me. He must care about me if he wanted to follow me to make sure I'm okay. But I barely know him! We've known each other for, what, five days? Six? Last night was an accident. I should've pulled away when he first kissed me. So why didn't I? Sighing, I answered Joshua.

"I know very well that I'm not invincible. I thank you for your concern over my well-being, but I'm not your girlfriend. What happened last night was an accident. It would be easier for you to just move on and forget about it. I'm sorry if you were hoping for something more but this isn't a fairytale. There isn't a storybook ending for everything. Trust me, I speak from experience. Goodbye, Joshua."

With that, I turned on my heel and walked out of the closet while trying to not cry. Why this is so upsetting for me is beyond my comprehension. My heart does strange thing sometimes. I've had it broken too many times. Even for Joshua, it's off limits. I walked away without turning around to see if he was watching. Him being him, I had a feeling he was.