Weakness

Chapter 48

Charlotte's POV

           I sat at the table that was designated to me and a few other guests to the wedding and looked around for what felt like the billionth time already. There was chairs and many other wedding related things scattered around the venue we had so careful selected after having seen way too many to count.

        The wedding was pratically over, the groom and the bride had already left and were on their way to the airport for their honeymoon. Many of the guests had also already left and still I had hoped that somehow he would show up.

          It was stupid to do so and I knew that very well but that knowledge didn't help much. I smiled sadly at the few couples including Andrew and Stella still on the dance floor slow dancing to a song I hadn't heard before. My heart warmed up as I saw the genuine smiles on their faces while they stared into each other's eyes.

            I sighed, picking up the glass of champagne in front of me and swallowing the whole content in one gulp. I didn't know why I expected Darcy to come to the wedding, he had made sure I knew that he didn't want to see me or have anything to do with me, and being at Rose's wedding would have resulted in him and I to be in the same place.

          To be honest, it wasn't as if William and Darcy were friends. William had hoped to get into a business with Darcy but that was pretty much where their relationship ended.

         Thinking about it, I found myself being embarrassed at the fact that I had pretty much spent most of my time staring at the door of the venue where the wedding reception was taking place in hope that I would catch Darcy walk in.

           I kept reminding myself that the only reason why I had so eagerly wanted to see him was simply to thank him. In no particular way was I remotely missing him. Nope not at all. I had wanted to say thank you and that was that.

          My shoulders slumped in defeat at the realization that I was pretty much wasting my time waiting. What was happening to me? I had done so well for the past five months but now all of the sudden I was missing him?

            No. Absolutely not. I promised I wasn't going to go down that route. I wasn't going to do this to myself. It was done and over with. That part of my life was history that I carefully locked away in a dungeon that should never be revisited.

           Then why was I feeling this way? Why did I feel like shedding a few tears to appease my heart.

          Not wanting anyone to see what a mess I was, I looked down at my hands while I played with the flower design on my maid of honor dressed that I had personally picked out for the wedding. I shook my head laughing at how pathetic I was.

        "May I have this dance with the maid of honor?" I heard from Andrew who was approaching me from the dance floor. I smiled at him...or at least tried as he stood in front of me. I looked around him for a second to see where Stella had gone. Catching my unspoken question he answered with a smile. "She's the one who sent me here."

           I nodded, suddenly feeling  uncomfortable with him staring down at me from where he was standing. I didn't want his pity, instead I had rather just wanted to sit there and wallow in my own self-pity until everyone had left.

          "Come on, let's dance." Andrew was saying as he grabbed my arm and pulled me up and I unwillingly followed him, dragging my feet the whole time like a reluctant teenager.

           "Ugh," I groaned. "I don't feel like dancing." My feet were killing me in those heels I hadn't break before wearing today. Lesson learned.