A Feathery Touch

Chapter 5

The home phone was ringing.

I knew I probably needed to get it if it was Rose calling. The thing was, I also had my eggs cooking on the stove, and I certainly did not want them to burn. Such a difficult decision that was. I liked them a certain way -- a precise way. There was an exact time for them to be on the stove cooking and not a second more.

When I finally was able to take my eggs off the stove, I ran to the phone before it stopped ringing.

"Hello?" I answered a little out of breath, which happened when you did something so out of your character as running.

"Miss Charlotte? There's someone here to see you." Ricardo, one of the people at the building's front desk, said. I frowned.

As I recalled, I wasn't expecting anyone, especially since I didn't know anyone in New York. So I wondered who it might be. My mind going places it shouldn't.

"She said to tell you a Mister James Darcy sent her, and you'll know what she means." The young gentleman, who I'd noticed recently was trying his best to flirt with me, replied.

I sighed and checked the time on the clock above the tv. "Okay, send her up." I told him, then hung up the phone before directing myself to the door, which I opened when she appeared a few minutes later.

There was a smile on my face politely directed at her. "Sorry, I obviously wasn't expecting anyone," I told her while looking over my clothes: baggy pants -- check, shirt with too many holes to count -- check. In hindsight, maybe I should have opted for something else.

She looked as if she would rather be anywhere but standing in front of me. I didn't blame her; she wasn't my favorite person at the moment either. She reminded me of this girl Jenn, whom I despised back in Texas.

"Here," she said while handing me a black card. "James wants you to have this. He wants you to go shopping and buy yourself something decent. He expects you to be ready when he comes to pick you up tonight." She finished before leaving, not even bothering to give me any time to ask questions.

"Uh, thank you," I yelled after her right before the elevator door closed. She was a little rude, this one. I wondered if she had always been this way, or did living in the city make her this way?

My phone started ringing as soon as I got into the apartment and closed the door, taking me out of my thoughts. The screen read 'James Darcy' as if he had already inserted his name into the contacts. I answered with my most jovial of hellos.

"Hi, did Bridget come by to give you the card?" He asked.

"Uhm, yeah she was here; she just left, actually." I told him, walking to the kitchen because I knew my omelet was getting cold and I was hungry.

I liked to eat, and honestly, who didn't? So it was perfectly reasonable that I would be thinking about food.

"Good," He said. "Did she tell you what I need you to do?" He asked. I picked up my food and went to sit at the dining table, the phone still attached to my ear.

"Yeah, no worries. I'll be ready." I told him. Half listening, half thinking whether I should add some parmesan on my eggs.

"Okay. Then I guess I'll see you tonight." He added, and a few seconds later, the conversation was over.

I put the phone on the table and curiously scrolled through each application. There wasn't any content on the phone other than Darcy's contact. I was thankful to him for having bought me a phone, even though it was last minute and we had to hurry to the store before they closed for the night.