Chapter Fifteen

Beginne am Anfang

He laid back on the blanket, looking up at the sky and I sat there, watching him.

"Hey um...Olivia?"

He looked over at me and I watched him, waiting for him to speak.

"Earlier at the meeting...I know that must've been a lot and you did such an amazing job but...do you know what my father meant when he said you were the future Alpha Female?"

I shook my head no, not sure where this was going. He sighed before sitting up.

"Well...you know how my father is the Alpha, right? And my mother is his mate and wife. Well, that makes her the Alpha Female. Once my father steps down, it'll be my turn to be the Alpha. I'll have to step up and take his place. That also means that...you'll become Alpha Female."

I nodded slowly, still not sure where this was going. Alpha Female, it's just a title...right?

He glanced at me before looking at his hands in his lap, picking at his fingers. He's nervous...

"The Alpha Female isn't just a title. Being the Alpha Female can be a lot of work, just like being the Alpha. An Alpha Female's job is to lead the pack when the Alpha can't be there. It's her duty to assist the Alpha in any way she can and to be there not only for her pack but also for her mate. Being the Alpha Female is also like...being a mother to everyone."

My eyes nearly bulged out of my head. A mother to everyone?

Dakota's hand wrapped around mine and our eyes met.

"The reason I'm telling you this is so...you can decide."

My brows furrowed and he looked away from me.

"I told you a few weeks ago that I would never pressure you into being my mate. I meant that. Being Alpha is a ton of work. It's...it's a job that I've been preparing for my whole life. You...you haven't. And I'm not going to force you into a role that you don't want. If you choose that being Alpha Female in the future isn't what you want then...I will step down as Alpha."

His words shocked me to my core. He would...he would step down? For me?

I stared at him, my mouth hanging open in shock.

"My father would be livid, but another family would take over as the next bloodline. The pack might be weakened from it at first, but we would be fine. I just can't imagine losing you because of -"

I put my fingers to his lips, stopping his words. His eyes widened at my action and I turned so my whole body was facing him.

"Your words surprise me," I whispered.

His mouth fell open and I bit my lip.

"I know that...I am completely out of my element here. First, everyone feared and loathed me. Now, I'm being celebrated. It's very confusing. But...if there is anything that I have come to figure out during this time with you it is that I am a strong person who has gone through so much in her life. And yet, I'm here with someone who treats me better than anyone ever has. Someone who has shown me kindness, and compassion, empathy, and...love. I don't care about a title or a job. That doesn't matter to me. It might be difficult, it'll probably put me completely out of my comfort zone, but if you're there with me, it won't matter. I...I'm falling in love with you, Dakota."

I pulled my hand away from his face, sitting in front of him, waiting for the shock to wear off.

"You...talked," he breathed.

I nodded and he scooted closer to me.

"Do it again," he whispered.

I giggled.