Chapter 9

After the party ends and I part ways with Justin for the night I sneak back out to the trains with the note from Anne in my pocket. I'm just walking out when I spot two figures in the shadows and I know it is Four and Tris. They walk towards me just as the train starts to make its presence known. We run along the track and we all jump into the last car effortlessly. Once we are nowhere near Dauntless I begin to explain about my friend Anne, my mother when she came for visiting day, the note which I handed them and a question about serums which they quietly process in a silent conversation between themselves as if deciding to tell me or not.

Four brakes the silence.

"It seems your friend's warning is one we should be really weary of. If she is trying to warn you I can assume that the Erudite are going to use the Dauntless for some purpose that we would not normally agree to, hence the serum warning. The leaders would be the ones to know since they would have the only means of the serum getting into the Dauntless population. That means the only real way for us to get answers is for one of us to infiltrate the leaders as someone they could trust, a leader in themselves. I know Max has been trying to get me to agree to be a leader for some time now, I could see if the offer still stands. Tris has also been asked so she can try as well, but I think that the best bet with everything would be for you to choose the leadership position at tomorrow's job choosing, and the fact that Eric would be the one training you would also seem the most logical way to get the information we need. It would also keep you from being discovered as divergent since I doubt any of the leaders would agree to being injected themselves."

I look between them in silence, my mind trying to process everything being thrown at me. If I can keep my divergence hidden I can possibly help stop whatever serum Anne warned me about, and I can help other divergents stay safe like my friends, Tris and Four.

"I'll do it."

Tris looks at me a soft smile on her lips but I can see the sadness and worry in her eyes. All three of us know how dangerous it will be for any of us as divergent to be around the leaders at all times. We all jump off the train when we return to Dauntless. Tris and Four head back to their apartment while I return to the transfer dorm. Sleep quickly finds me as soon as my head touches the pillow.

Its been a week since choosing to be a leader in training as well as wanting to train initiates, though that is part time. When I am alone with Eric he seems more mellow, but as soon as anyone else comes around it is like a switch is turned on and he goes back to being a cold heartened ass. We end up mostly alone except for meetings and walkabouts. I even think I saw him crack a smile once when he saw me talking to Justin, after hours one night.

Justin works in the control room with Four so we always end up around each other which is not a problem at all. I love all of my new friends and I am pretty sure I am completely falling head over heels for Justin. He looks at me with such love and pride that every time I look at him I feel nervous, excited and lost in his eyes. My apartment is close to Four and Tris' since it is larger and on the same floors as the leaders, just down the opposite hall. Justin's is next to Chris' and Buckley's two floors below, but we are either in my apartment or at a friends most nights anyway.

Tonight after Justin went back to his apartment after an intense game of Candor or Dauntless I knocked on Four and Tris' door.