"As a matter of fact, I am, noble owl." I reply politely with a bow. I'm hoping that this owl knows his way around the Third Realm with all its snow, ice, and monotonous pattern of snow laden trees. "I've been sent by m'professor to study and catalog the species of the known realms. I hear that there is a saber pack nearby, yes?"

The owl glides down to meet me. "Ah, you must mean the Tsume Pack. Oh yes, they're a few miles away. I could take you there if you'd like. Unfortunately, the High Male and High Female are currently out on a hunt at the time being, but I'd be happy to escort you to the territory's edge."

He peers at me closer, and circles around me with an examining eye. "If you don't mind me asking, what are you? I've never seen someone quite so green-green like the aurora in the night sky." He motions to my emerald scales.

I blush, being embarrassed by the attention. "Well, I'm actually not any one species, so I guess I'm just a new species of sorts. M'mum is a gryphon and m'father is a dragon from Kurai." Awkwardly, I mumble, not knowing what to say. I've never actually taken the time to think about my species genealogy; it hasn't ever crossed my mind.

"Mm, Kurai. You best not mention the Kurai to the Tsumes, they are a bit wary of 'em since the Twilight War. I wouldn't worry about it though, they've always been a superstitious bunch. Ah, well, anyways, do you happen to have a name for it, your species?"

'Gee, I wonder why they're like that? What did the Kurai do to get a bad reputation?' My brain wonders curiously. I tap my chin, thinking. "I think, I'll go with something simple, easy to r'member. I think I'll go with... Dracopites herba as the scientific term, or dryphon f'er informal usage."

The owl speaks kindly, "A very studious name for a studious lad like yourself. Now, if you wish to head over to the Tsume Pack with me, do you mind if we stop by my hollow so I can pick up a few things? By the way, the name's Shimo the White." He tilts his head and turns it to his side that's closest to me.

"I'm Enoki, and that sounds fine." I agree wholeheartedly and follow him to a tall pine. The snowy owl flutters up the branches and reaches a large hole and enters in. His tail feathers can still be seen sticking out of his hollow. He finally returns, holding a scroll in his left talons.

"Alright, follow me." He speaks, stepping farther out on the branch. Shimo spreads his feathered wings up and soars up and over the trees. It's hard to keep a good eye on him on the grey sky, but I spot him, and follow him on the ground, heading towards the cleared path.

I admire his skill to fly in such terrible weather. The wind howls every which way and nearly lifts me off the ground. I can barely walk, yet alone fly in this blizzard.

"So, how long do the blizzards usually last 'round here?" I call out to Shimo curiously.

"Eh, what? What blizzard? This is the normal weather around these parts." He laughed and lowered his altitude to help me hear him better.

We arrive at a fork in the road; an icy mountain range can be seen at the left, far off into the distance-at least a four to five hour trek up to the top of the peak. We take the right instead, leading down a long and uneven pathway jumbled with snow covered pine trees, all of which throw their pebble sized snowflakes at me.

Our walk is quiet, only a few words pass between us. We have mostly given up on conversation due to the wind picking up even more so than before. Its noise is boisterous and ever so relentless against our travels. Shimo alights down on a branch once the weather begins to calm.

"This is where I must bid you farewell. I have business with the High Male and Female regarding their border protection. I'm the security guard, you could say." He winks at me, waving the scroll, and lands a few feet away.

"I don't know how I can ever r'pay ye f'er y'er kindness. 'Twas most helpful." I bow my head courteously.

"Oh, think nothing of it, lad. It was my pleasure to meet your acquaintance." The owl waves his wing indifferently.

"But I must give ye something f'er y'er services. Oh! I know," I say with a flick of the wrist.

Now, you all must know by now that our world is much different from the mortal world. Full of wonder and unexplainable science, magic as some of the more unconventional may view it. But I can guarantee you that every hocus pocus, spell, and charm that actually do not involve deception has a logical explanation of science behind it-I have proof of it too! I tested my theory on my own self. What I am trying to explain is, we use "magic".

With my flick powder falls from out of my scales. Like mushroom spores, they float slowly with a golden iridescent characteristic about it. Once it lands on the cold earth, I work very hard to keep a neurological connection between my brain and the "pollen" as I have come to call it.

Immediately, three bulbs sprout from the ground, rocketing toward the sun. The white and baby blue accented flower bulbs bloom quickly. I see no reaction from Shimo as they soon mature and wilt with an exceeding rate. I tap the now dried bulbs and with the other hand collect the seeds that the flowers drop, and put them in an empty small pouch I have on my person.

"Here, some ice begonias. I hear they are a popular perennial in these parts." I try to smile an honest smile without looking too much like a freak.

It's my special abilities that kept me indoors most of the time. I could never control it when I was younger. I'd always leave a trail of overgrowth wherever I walked. Not really the best way to impress your friends who already think you belong in the Museum of Nature's Weirdest.

"Thank you Enoki. I can see why you're named after a mushroom; you have a special gift. You take care now."

"And you as well," I call back to him as I wander further up the trail. The dens can be seen slowly climbing into view while they hang firmly to the side of a jagged edged hillside. I just hope I'm welcome here.

/There we are! A brand new, fully redone chapter two! Please let me know what you think of this new rendition of the older version. Do you like the changes that have been made or do you prefer the old version?/