A Pittsburgh Penguins Love Story 26

I walked into the familiar white house not bothering to knock. Knowing Trina would be in the kitchen I walked in. With Sidney back on the ice where he belongs practicing to break some more records, I had spent most of my time here. I had made friends of a few girlfriends and wives of Sidney's friends, but they either had kids or jobs during the day. I really did enjoy being with Trina and Taylor. At the same time I missed having responcibilites. I missed feeling like I had a purpose. All I really did this summer was spend time with Sidney's family and friends, clean the house, and cook. I wanted more. I needed to do something. Suffic to say our house was creepy clean and the meals were, if I do say so myself, amazing. 

"Hey Mal! Wanna go shopping? I need to pick up a few more things for school," Taylor came bouncing into the kitchen. I quickly learned that she had taken after her brother in that she was always moving. They both never sat still. Not that I complained, being the same way myself. 

I laughed, "Ya, I have to pick up a dress anyway. Your brothers being all weird," I crinkled my nose, "and won't tell me where we're going tomorrow night. He just told me to dress up." Sidney and I had officially been together for 8 months. It was hard to believe. We both felt like it had been so much longer. 8 months of me and Sidney. 8 months of us. Weird. 

"What a weirdo," Taylor replied rolling her eyes at the same time her mother said, "Aw, he's so sweet."

I laughed as Trina gave Taylor a look for calling her brother names. "Taylor's not wrong Trina, he is a weirdo."

Taylor's eyes flashed in triumph, "HA."

"So, hunny 8 months?" Trina grinned at me.

I chuckled, "Ya... If he wasn't so weirdly interesting I would have left forever ago." I laughed.

"I don't blame you. I was so glad when he bought his house. His little supersticions drive me nuts. If I didn't love him so much I would have kicked him out," she joked back.

"That is the problem right... You want to be rid of him but he's just so dern lovable."

"I hate to interupt the Sidney fan club board meeting but, LET'S GO!!" Taylor broke in.

--Sidney's POV--

I missed the ice. I missed the feel of my skates moving across the surface. I missed feeling the adrenaline rushing through my viens when the puck landed near my stick. I missed rushing down the ice to the goal. I missed the excitment of scoring. I missed sitting on the bench with my teammates. I missed my life. 

I continualy tried to remind myself that I wouldn't just come back being the same player I was. It would take work. Eventually I'd be back but with as long as I was off it was going to be gradual. Did that stop me from being hopeful that I would just come back? Of course not. 

I thought maybe I'd just come back and be me. I'd be the player I was when I got hurt. When my early knowledge proved correct, when I didn't just play and feel like I had in early December, I can admit I was dissapointed. 

I wanted to be me fast. I didn't want to let my team down for another season. I didn't want to let the fans down, my family and friends down, Malana down. 

I'd admited before that I knew I had to work twice as hard as Stamkos and Ovechkin given my size. This summer I had to surpass even that. I had to not only train and get better from last year, but just get back the level I was. It's hard to raise the bar when your not even where you started. 

Rumors weren't helping me either. On the work side, there was so many speculations, about missing training camp, missing the first half of the season, or even retirment. It was hard to stomach. It was like there were people out there who hated me that much that they wanted me to be so hurt my career was over. Then there were fans, whom I don't blame but am just slightly dissapointed, who don't care if I get hurt worse, as long as we win another cup. Like I said, I don't blame them. Yet, I wish there were more important things than cups to some people. 

I knew I was hipocritcal for thinking that because I knew I was the same way as a kid. It was always like 'Boo-hoo you have a headache! Just win a cup!'.

On the  personal side I also had to worry about Malana. She undestood it wasn't my fault, but I still felt usless because I was unable to protect her from scruntiny. For the most part being in such a small town in Canada it was easily ovoided. But there was always that one person in the restraunt, that one slut in the mall, a mother who thinks their daughters better. Mal took it better than I could have ever hoped. I had learned with her though it could easily all be an act. She was great at surpressing things. Great at holding everything in and not letting anyone see her pain. I felt like she tried with me but old habits die hard and she was never completely open. Not to say I would ever change her for the world but it was one habit I could do without. I loved her with everything I had. I wanted to protect and reassure her. 

I hated every single one of them that ever said something bad against her. They didn't know her. They don't know what she's been through in her life. They don't know what she's done for me. Seeing all the deaths in the sports world in the past few years worried me.. 

"Sidney Crosby will not be expected to return for training camp." I turned my attention to the screen as the anchors continued on about my 'non-expected return'. I rolled my eyes and waited for the calls as I continued my workout. 

I wasn't talking to anyone about my health much, not even Mario or Dan. I knew I should be but there wasn't much to update. I was pushing myself and still having certain symptoms. I knew as much as everyone else. I can't just know what's going on with my health. Do people with cancer just know they have it? Until I get the diagnostic of where my head is I know as much as the reporters in Pittsburgh. I wish I could give people more details but in reality I can't. I had been to a few specialists in different states but they never had anything new to say. 

Glancing at the clock I knew my time was running short. Hockey was a full time occupation. You can get so caught up in practices and games not to mention how phisically draining it is, that many guys have a hard time balancing family. I knew I was one of them growing up. I was never home, even during the summer, and if I was I wasn't completely there. I was always going through everything that needed done for the next season. How many hours I could squeeze in to work on my shot after I was done in the gym. When I could get on the ice to build up some speed. Who would be available to help me work on some defence. 

Since I won the cup  I started working on that though. Now it was more important than ever. As time grew closer to when I planned on proposing my future started to shape in front of me. Kids weren't that far off and I wasn't going to put them and their mother, my love, second to anything, even hockey. That started now. Training was important to me and I did that. I trained every day. I trained more than 99% of others and was all in it. But now when my set training was over I went home. There was no I'll just stay another hour or I don't need to go home right now. I was not going to cancel plans with Malana if it was at all avoidable. 

I hurriedly got dressed and all but ran to my car. Malana was making strombolie for dinner. I love that woman.

I smiled walking in the kitchen, "Something smells amazing."

"Hey Love, how was training?"

"It was good," I said turning her away from the counter and kissing her. It was amazing enough to feel her lips against mine, but when she smiled into the kiss it was Heaven.

"I love you she said pulling away."

"Oh, 32- your cooking."