A Pittsburgh Penguins Love Story 21

Sidney's head fell along with his heart. It's hard to imagine what he was going through. Sid was beating himself up more so than anyone knew. Everyone was aware he would be upset, just how upset people disregarded. In Sidney's mind next season didn't exist till next season. It was all about now and right now instead of leading his team he was getting the news his progression would be stopped for the time being. Right now as his team suffers together in that locker room thinking how they could have pushed for one more goal, Sidney's suffering alone in a room full of people who can't understand, thinking about how he could have lied, could have jeopardized his health, just to win one more game. To think that 'fans' out there agree with that is angering and hurtful. Sidney can't do it all himself. He's the greatest player in the world, but not even he can win a Stanley Cup alone. That being said I comend the team on what they have done. Sidney, Mario, I, etc. are all so amazed and proud at how they organized and carried on with so many teammates out at different points. 

As I looked at Sidney though the realization dawned on me, none of it mattered. This season looked at in retrospect was great, but looking at it as Sidney would, not just a season or a playoffs or a game, but as life, this was a failure. As impresive as they were, it doesn't matter if you don't walk away with the cup. It doesn't matter that Sidney had more points and goals than anyone in the first half of a season since the lockout, he didn't win anything. In professional sports all that matters is wins. Sidney knew this better than anyone. Sidney lived by this realization. Sidney pushed himself to the breaking point because of this. Another realization struck me at this moment- it was my job to keep that from happening. My job to make sure Sidney doens't put to much stress on himself, that he doesn't make himself slowly die by pushing his body to hard. 

Everyone continued with their talk as they filed out of the room. As more and more people left the emotional level in the room dispersed from dissapointment to sorrow as Sidney sat alone still unmoving. To say it was disappointed would be far to understated. He was disappointed when they lost a regular season game against Nashville. He was disappointed when one of his teammates failed to score on a breakaway. He was disappointed when Flower missed an easy save. What he was feeling now was much deeper than disappointment- he was hurt. So deeply hurt he was rendered speachless and motionless. 

Running my hands through his hair as I sat beside him I tried to comfort him. He looked up and did the least expected thing, he smiled. Granted it was a small smile but it was a smile. 

"Can we do something Mal?"

My eyebrows pulled togther in confusion, "What..."

"Me and you were going to go back to Canada and just forget it all. Every bad thing that's happened to us in the past few weeks all of it we'll just forget about it. We'll move on... I say that's what I'll do every year but this time I have you to help so I can do it. We can do it."

I smiled, "When do we leave?"

---

"Malana Addison move your ass to this front door right this second or I swear to all that is good in this world I will pick you up and throw you in the car fully dressed or not!"

I walked calmly down the stairs rolling my eyes, "Would you really? You'd really take you girlfriend out into a world full of smexy men half naked? With your boss none-the-less?"

His eyes flashed with jealousy, "I wouldn't matter they can imagine whatever they want but they'll never touch you."

"Isn't that more my decision than yours?"

"Nope. You see," he grabbed my face, "this is mine." He planted a soft kiss on my lips then unexpectedly picked me up bridal style. "We're late!"