6 - "Luke didn't dare hope"

Dedication: @PJbooks

Editing sucks. Don't forget to point out errors, please. :)

I'd a appreciate a good ol' vote or even a comment with your thoughts if you'd like. Hope you enjoy. - Vanessa

***
Previously:

He didn't know what to do but he knew he needed to act fast. One wrong move and they'd be shot. He didn't know what would happen to him if he was shot but he didn't think his abilities would stop a gun wound to the head from killing him.

He might have more strength, speed and superior senses than others but he could still get hurt. Maybe not like everyone did but a knife could certainly stab him and hurt like hell, a bullet would be no exception. Sure his wounds healed faster, but that was if he even survived in the first place.

Luke's mind raced, faster than it ever had before. He was scared. He knew this was messed up and if he didn't come up with a solution fast they were screwed.

***
Flashback:

Luke was sad that Calum couldn't come and play at the park with him today. He had to come with Ben and Ben was busy with his own friends. Luke pouted as he watched Ben play, feeling left out as he sat on the grass, pulling at the green blades angrily with his small hands.

Luke looked up in boredom and saw by the ice-cream truck a boy around his age, six or maybe seven, sitting on one of the benches. A woman was on the phone, handing him an ice-cream before leaving him there as she shouted on the phone.

Luke got up, frowning at the grass stains on his jeans that would get him in trouble, before walking towards the boy who seemed sad. Luke didn't like seeing people sad and he wanted to make him smile.

Luke approached him shyly, watching as the kid licked at his ice-cream, Luke pouting because he wanted ice-cream too.

The kid looked up sadly, looking confused when Luke stood in front of him. Luke didn't know what to say and he remembered his dad saying that whenever he didn't know how to start a conversation, he should just say his name.

"Hi, I'm Luke," Luke said, shifting on his feet. The kid's sad smile suddenly turned into a wide grin.

"I'm Mikey," he said, smiling down at his ice-cream. Luke took a seat beside Mikey, swinging his legs which dangled off the edge of the bench, too short to reach the floor.

"Why are you sad?" Luke asked curiously watching as the boy's smile faded as he looked at his mom shouting on the phone in the distance.

"Mom is always angry," he said, gripping onto his cone with both hands, frowning further as the ice-cream melted down the side of the cone and onto his hands.

"Why is she angry?" Luke asked, turning to look at Mikey's mom.

"She's always angry. She can't find my sister," he grumbled.

"Where's your sister?"

Mikey shrugged, looking up at Luke, "I don't know. I've never met her. Mom's been looking for her since before I was born."

"Do you miss her?" Luke asked, feeling sad as he imagined it being Jack or Ben who was gone, surprised when Mikey shook his head.

"I don't know her."

"What's her name?"  Luke asked, tilting his head at Mikey.

"Her name's Kimberly," he said sadly.