Rey's Legacy

Jedi Temple, Coruscant

The Force held a strong presence within the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. For the first time in 14 years, the light side of the force began to show some true presence. Each of the young Jedi's were defending themselves again a small training ball shooting lasers at them. Ikkra-Manu was elegantly manoeuvring his way around the hall, and moving his lightsaber into a defence position before the ball had even shot out its laser. His strong precognition came in handy when defending against oncoming objects. Lascele was acrobatically performing flips, cartwheels and other unnamable moves, whilst dodging the blasts. Kayan's form of the defence was his usage of the force. When he failed to block the laser with his lightsaber, he used the force to deflect the oncoming beams. Carlah's ball was firing lasers slightly quicker than most of the young Jedi's, as her reflexes were truly honourable. Moving her head side to side, she dodged the blasts, and along with the expert dodging, she was spinning around her weapon with ease, blocking the shots. Jatus deflected his lasers with brute strength. Despite the ball only firing the shots relatively slowly compared the others, he showed intent and aggression whilst defending himself. Hashtar and Dextra also managed to judge the blasts with ease, and dodged them with as much ease, whilst wielding their lightsabers masterfully. Mina held her lightsaber differently than the traditional way. She held the lightsaber downwards rather than upright, but this didn't stop her from performing acrobatics and blocking the laser blasts with ease also.

Whilst the skills of everyone else were impressive, none of them matched Rey. Her acrobatics, handling of her weapon, reflexes etc, outshone the rest of her peers. She still had a feeling that everyone was watching her, out of the corner of their eyes. She felt her face heat slightly as she made eye contact with Dextra. She didn't like conversing with them. They knew something about her that she didn't, and this made her feel uneasy.
Finn on the other hand, struggled with his endeavours. Whilst his counterparts seemingly defended themselves with ease, Finn was sweating profusely. He noticed Mina watching him struggle, and, being distracted, the laser blasted him on the arm, giving him a slight electric shot.
"Ouch." He muttered, rubbing his arm. Mina chuckled, and winked at Finn. Determined not to let her mock him anymore, he tensed and readied himself for the oncoming lasers. He managed much better this time, with the extra incentive. Noticing once more that Mina was watching him, he decided he'd try and impress her. Mustering up his courage and determination, he attempted a flip. The laser came blasting at him and he jumped. He felt himself hovering for a second, and then....he landed  in a heap on the ground. He felt his leg bruise. To add insult to injury, the ball blasted him once more as he lay in the floor.
"Dammit." He cursed under his breath. He got onto all fours to push himself off he ground, but a shadow appeared over him. He turned to see Mina, struggled to keep in her laugh. She held out her hand, and he took it, as she pulled him up off of the floor.
"Your training seems to be going....well." She said mockingly. Finn noticed how soft her voice was.
"Yeah..." He said, sighing to himself. Noticing the discontent on Finn's face, Mina's mocking turned into concern.
"Are you okay?" She interrogated. Finn considered lying, but concluded there to be no point.
"No. No I'm not okay. All I want, is to be a Jedi. But I can't. I can't use the force, I don't have the agility, I'm just...not cut out for this." His bowed in disappointment. Mina took hold of Finn's hand. She ignored the clamminess of it as she spoke to him.
"I'll help you. Without trying to sound arrogant or anything, apart from Rey I'm probably the best one here. I don't mind helping you." She smiled at Finn comfortingly. Finn smiled back, surprised that she would even consider aiding him.
"That sounds good. Thanks." They once more smiled at each other, as she started giving him tips and demonstrations.

At the other side of the hall, Rey watched on with a hint of disgust. She shook her head. How can I be in the same training hall as him, she thought to herself. I'm much more powerful than him, and anyone else here... No. She snapped out of this annoyance. He's my friend, he's just struggling, poor guy. She prepared herself for more training when she heard her name being spoken. She snapped out of her combat position, and concentrated as much as she could on where the talking was coming from. She looked towards the open door not too far away. She spotted Maz and Luke conversing inside. She began to walk towards them when the small training ball shot in the arm.
"Ow." She exclaimed, annoyed. She lifted up her hand and the small ball crumpled under the force and fell to the floor. She continued walking towards the door, and stood on the outside, listening.
"She doesn't need to know Maz. We have far too much to be concentrating on with our enemy. She doesn't need a distraction, we need her ready, and her mind 100% on the task in hand." Said Luke. Rey noticed that the pair were arguing about something. She walked into the room, making her presence known. Luke & Maz turned in surprise.
"How much have you heard?" Demanded Luke. Maz looked at him in annoyance.
"Oh Luke, the time is up, she deserves to know."
"Deserve to know what?" Demanded Rey.
Luke sighed in defeat, and pulled up a chair with the force. "You're better off sitting down." Rey looked inquisitively at Luke as she sat down. She was slightly nervous.
"It would help if you kept questions until the end." Said Maz. Rey nodded in compliance. Maz looked at Luke, prompting him to start talking. In obvious reluctance, Luke began to speak.
"We haven't been entirely truthful with you Rey. We have been keeping a secret from you. Not to hurt you, but to protect you. You were not just some random orphan left on Jakku by your parents...I must ask, what do you remember from your childhood?" Asked Luke. Rey had never been asked a personal question such as this before. She swallowed, and began to tell of her memories.
"I don't really remember much. Before Jakku, my life is just a blur. I don't remember vivid things, but I remember a lot of feelings. It's hard to explain but I remember a lot of fear, however a lot of love. My mother left me on Jakku... I remember her face. She was beautiful. She had black hair, and truly goddess-like looks. She promised me that she'd come back for me. But she never did." She began to tear up. Realising that it was probably best to stop her talking, Luke continued.
"I'll get straight to the point. 14 years ago, I knew you, and you knew me." Rey turned her head towards him in disbelief. She attempted to speak up but Luke raised a hand to stop her. "You were part of the Jedi Academy that was destroyed by the Knights of Ren."
"I saw them." Rey whispered subconsciously. She only realised she had said this out loud when she noticed the puzzled looks on the faces of Maz and Luke.
"You saw who?" Maz Questioned.
"Them. The Knights of Ren. When I first touched Luke's lightsaber, the visions I saw included them. They were slaughtering people..." He voice trailed away. "But, how can I have been in your Jedi Academy? With all due respect, I think I would have remembered." She said.
"Well no, there's a reason you don't remember. From a young age your power was so apparent. When your mother brought you to me for the first time, I could sense the force in you like no one else. When Ben Solo was seduced to dark side, and when he and his compatriots slaughtered the innocent souls at the Academy, I made you my priority. Using the force I cleared the memories from your head. I forced your mother to take you, and leave you on a planet where no one would find you. I told her to abandon you." Rey say in silence, trying to take it all in. She suddenly started breathing heavily and turned to look with anger.
"How dare you! You look away my childhood! You had no right! No right to do that to me! Do you know how long I waited for someone to come for me. Well actually you do know. 14 YEARS! I had to scavenge for scrap metal to get scraps of food. I had no one!" She shouted through her tears.
"Rey please. You must forgive me. You would have died. And you would have lived your life with nightmarish memories that would haunt you even to this day. If you didn't know your own identity then you would not be found. Your true name would have had you found and killed."
"My true name?" Whispered Rey. Her heart began to beat heavily. Luke was silent, as he did not want to tell her.
"Rey Kenobi." Interjected Maz.
"Kenobi...?" Her voice trailed away, trying to get her head around what was going on. Luke closed his eyes. He had dreaded this day for a long time. He decided to continue with his explanation.
"The Great Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi survived the Jedi Purge during the Clone Wars. But during the Clone Wars, despite it being against the old Jedi Code, Obi-Wan had a secret, one-time affair with a woman, and they had a child in secret. The child was taken away to the planet of Naboo. Naboo at the time was in alliance with the Jedi. She was called Haira. She grew up on Naboo, living her own life. She was aware of her true parenthood, and Obi-Wan and her mother would visit her sporadically. However when the Empire took control, her mother died, and she only saw her father very rarely, because of course he would have been murdered if he made his presence known. During the time of the Empire, and the fall of the Empire for that matter, she was not aware of her father's fate, and she continued to live her life. Following the fall of the Empire, she had a child - you. Your father unfortunately died not long after. Knowing of her father's abilities, Haira made it her priority to keep you safe. Once word came out that I was beginning my Jedi Academy, she knew to bring you to me. And as soon as I saw you, I knew you were so powerful. More powerful than your own grandfather, and I predict that you'll be more powerful than me. Don't blame your mother for leaving you. If you're going to blame anyone then blame me, but it was for your own good and safety. I haven't heard from your mother since that night 14 years ago." Luke swallowed and fell silent. However a sense of relief flushed through Luke. This was a secret that he had struggled to keep from Rey.

Rey was utterly dumbfounded. A Kenobi... The granddaughter of the Great Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi...Rey Kenobi...her mothers name was Haira...All of these thoughts swirled around Rey's head. She was certainly angry at Luke, but as she looked at his distressed face, she felt sympathy for him. It must've been so strenuous to keep something like this to himself. The awkwardness in the room was ended when Maz jumped down from her chair. Rey looked around the room, and took her surroundings in for the first time. The room was square, and only small. The walls were a discoloured white, and plastered on the walls were diagrams, maps and documents. The room was somewhat of an office. Maz walked over to a cupboard and pulled out a box. She struggled to lift it, so Luke helped her place on a table. Maz gestured for Rey to open it. With slight hesitation, she unlatched the lid and lifted it off. Inside sat a lightsaber.
"Luke's lightsaber was not the only one I recovered in my travels and journeys." She explained. Maz gestured for Rey to pick it up. A sense of familiarity flooded Rey as she picked it up. She fell to the floor, and everything went dark as she began to hear voices.

"You were the chosen one!"

"That's no moon."

"You don't want to sell me deathsticks."

"You were my brother Anakin, I loved you."

"When I left you I was but the learner, but now I am the master."

"Only a master of evil, Darth."

"Well then you are lost!"

"Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."

The darkness disappeared and Rey's eyes shot open. The room was slowly spinning. Eventually her eyes settled. She felt the sweat dripping from her head. Luke helped her to her feet. Breathing heavily, Rey sat herself down on a nearby chair. Maz walked over to her. She held Rey's right hand (the left held the lightsaber), and she spoke gently to her.

"This Rey, is the lightsaber of Obi-Wan Kenobi."